Author Topic: KHD-CX910 vs. KHD-C710  (Read 14213 times)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: KHD-CX910 vs. KHD-C710
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 03:11:19 pm »
Does anyone here think it's easy to make out specifically what sound chip is on either of these boards based on those two pictures?  

Err, yes, actually.  

Otherwise I would not have posted the link.  The chip numbers are very clear in the (excellent) photos.  And I figured that if you already had the chip numbers then they would not be too hard to identify in the pictures.  

Can you circle the chip numbers in paint or something for those of us that don't have the vision you do?  Also, I'm still waiting on the response about the (very) limited search functionality.

Search on this board is what I assume you mean yes?

I don't know exactly what your complaint is but I can find almost anything I want using the search but you have to remember to change the max search date range from the default to over a year to search back all the threads.

It is a default of YABB to keep server load down I guess.

Offline sparky3

• Getting the hang of things.
  • www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 05:01:38 am »
For us Joe users, it's limited to the last 15.  Create a regular account and test it; you'll see what I mean.  I know there's a wealth of information here; I just hate to see good data inaccessible via search.

Shawn

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 01:22:11 pm »
For us Joe users, it's limited to the last 15.  Create a regular account and test it; you'll see what I mean.  I know there's a wealth of information here; I just hate to see good data inaccessible via search.

Shawn

Ah, okay that has been fixed now.  Sorry about that. Search on!

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 09:39:22 pm »
Hi judb,

Is it me, or has the search button just disappeared?  :-?

Les.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 10:52:25 pm »

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 11:17:04 pm »
I see it too now - don't know why I couldn't see it before - probably looking in the wrong place - must be going blind....  Thanks.

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 12:18:52 am »

Shawn

Ah, okay that has been fixed now.  Sorry about that. Search on!

:) ;) BRAVO, It's Fixed!  Now people won't ask as many questions when they sign up here! :-*

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2006, 11:47:04 am »
Well soon I will know the answer for the difference between the two; I just picked up my first complete CX910 from EBAY for $200.  Included the VOIT!

http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-eXcelon-Music-Keg-KHD-CX910-PHATNOISE_W0QQitemZ250017690524QQihZ015QQcategoryZ1498QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't wait to diddle with this one...

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 02:22:40 am »
Can anyone verify, before I drop another $200 on a KHD-CX910, if in fact the 910 sounds better? Is the hardware interally the same?  I mean has anyone with a 710 unplugged it, popped in their DMS into a 910 and been able to tell any difference?  Why do the 910's with 10GB DMS's and USB 1 cradles outsell their 710 counterparts? Especially when the auctions read "VOIT is a free download" (obviously which it isn't now).

Anyone who can help, I really appreciate it!
Shawn

To answer my own question, now that I have a CX910.  Yes, it sounds better, especially at the higher volume levels.  It's just clearer, and I've spent some time testing both.

Just my .02.

Offline mrblack

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 03:27:58 pm »
Just to point out, from the photos available on this site the C710 is the board shown with the Burr Brown DAC, the CX910 has the Cirrus Logic...  

My first reaction would tell me that the unit with the Burr Brown DAC would sound superior to the one with the standard Cirrus Logic DAC, but there is alot more than just the DAC that has an effect on your final sound output.  Obviously your method of compression will ultimately have a much larger effect on how things sound... As long as you're happy with your purchase, that's what matters.  Best of luck to ya.

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2006, 02:55:41 am »

My first reaction would tell me that the unit with the Burr Brown DAC would sound superior to the one with the standard Cirrus Logic DAC, but there is alot more than just the DAC that has an effect on your final sound output.  Obviously your method of compression will ultimately have a much larger effect on how things sound... As long as you're happy with your purchase, that's what matters.  Best of luck to ya.

I'm just basing my opinion on using the same DMS cartridge, the same songs at the same compression level.  710 vs the 910, I thought the 910 sounded better at higher volumes.

Offline mrblack

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2006, 11:16:16 am »
Right, and I understood what you meant when you said that.  I just wanted to point out that you can achieve a more impactful difference in your music by focusing on more important factors that affect quality.  Personally I would much rather have the Burr Brown DAC in a component of mine, and I own a Phatbox which supposedly has it inside (although I've never opened it up to verify...), but I know for a fact that the pre-outs on my particular Phatbox are rather weak.  It's possible that the CX910 has a stronger set of outputs, which is why you're hearing what you perceive as more 'clarity' at louder volumes.  Is the difference you're hearing a direct result of the swap you made?  I would say from the sound of it, yes. I would not however consider the DACs inside the 910 to be superior.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 11:17:05 am by mrblack »