Author Topic: phatbox crashed?  (Read 4477 times)

Offline cooter79

• PhatHacker
phatbox crashed?
« on: August 24, 2006, 11:57:06 pm »
 >:( >:( >:( >:(I replaced the phatbox internal hardrive cable with a 3ft unit so I could slim down the portion the dms goes into and place the headunit cable plug in portion elsewere and now the unit says disc changer and then aux in and then does nothing, it was working earlier this morning before I put the cable on.  

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: phatbox crashed?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 03:39:10 am »
It uses extra pins that are not used in IDE to detect if the drive is connected, you need to make sure your cable actually has conductors for all pins

Offline cooter79

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 04:01:56 am »
so get out the old meter and pin probes and see if it indeed has 44 pins?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 08:20:34 am »
well it should be pretty obvious... usually theres a hole in the cable where one of the conductors should be at some point... but otherwise, yes

Offline zero cool

• Getting the hang of things.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 11:29:13 am »
Also,

Some cables are not keyed and if you plug the cable in backwards...the drive goes POOF!

I found this out the hardway. I had just purchased a laptop to standard IDE adapter and it didnt come with any instructions and it wasnt labeled as to which way it plugged into the laptop drive. a client was standing there and i plugged in his laptop drive taking a wild guess at which way it went and just as i was hitting the power switch, the client tried to warn me and poof went his drive. no smoke or anything but his drive was toast instantly. I had to buy him a new drive!

I made sure to mark which way the drive went in that adapter so it wouldnt happen again.

Any chance you could have hooked up that cable backwards, even for a second???

Zc

Offline cooter79

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 02:43:45 pm »
the plugs and receptacles in the keg are all tabed for one way install, and the unit plugs in fine on both plugs, all holes line up the same.

I am thinking that the problem may just be the length I am trying to run, cause I was finally able to get it to see the dms with the orignal cable after several restarts and replugging in the cables.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 02:44:42 pm by cooter79 »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 01:33:01 am »
lol, for those it's simple... the red wire is pin 1