Author Topic: HELP! Broken connector on PCB  (Read 3489 times)

Offline sandiegogreg

• PhatHacker
HELP! Broken connector on PCB
« on: September 16, 2006, 08:27:45 am »
I have the KHD-C710.  A few weeks ago some clown tried to steal my music keg out of my truck.  Needless to say, they didn't get it, but they broke the connector on the bottom of the unit that is soldered on to the circuit board.  This connector goes to the cable that runs from the head unit.  Most of the pins are broken off to short to solder them back on.   The circuit board itself is just fine.  Can anyone point me in the direction where I might find the connector so that I can solder it back on?

Thank you.

sandiegogreg

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: HELP! Broken connector on PCB
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 03:40:35 pm »
Sheesh!   :o  They broke the connector?  They must have been trying really hard!

I assume you refer to the 26-way connector?  I think you should be able to get the part that you need from Digikey (www.digikey.com).  The connector is one of the 3M "Mini D Ribbon" (MDR) series connectors (does not mean that it is for ribbon cable - so don't worry about that bit).

Looking at the Digikey catalog I think it is 3M part number 10226-55G3VC, or Digikey part number 3M1714-ND (although this one is beige and not black).  Try searching for these on the Digikey web site.  This will give you the connector but not the threaded locks.  They are also available from Digikey in a range of threads (on the same catalog page - page 31 in the UK edition), but I don't know what thread size is used by the mating cable.  Do you have these?  You may be able to salvage them from your existing unit?

Are you good with a soldering iron?  Getting the old pins out of the board and the holes clear of solder is not that easy.  And make sure that there are no solder whiskers that could create shorts when you put the new connector in place.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck!!!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 03:44:01 pm by S80_UK »

Offline sandiegogreg

• PhatHacker
Re: HELP! Broken connector on PCB
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 04:56:57 pm »
Thanks S80_UK!

I'll check it out and let you know if I was able to find one that worked.  I have the screws that were on the cable and hopefully one of these connectors will work with that.

Cheers-