Author Topic: Ready to get an Ipod  (Read 11687 times)

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
Ready to get an Ipod
« on: September 15, 2006, 05:09:09 am »
I started a new thread since my last one was getting convoluted.
Please Help.

(VW/Audi brand HU, 7.02 Firmware)

I have been through the patch process many times and done alot of troubleshooting.  At once I had the box patched, and heard the unlocked message.  No matter what I tried, I could not get the new HD to work
Probably I'm just not literate enough about the matter, but perhaps someone could guide me through from the top, and see where I went wrong.

Now, the original DMS is not working, head unit reports No changer.  :'( DMS doctor reports everything is OK.

If the box was patched, could it become 'unpatched' somehow?
Why does my V 1.5 hack disk boot as V 1.1?

Please let me know if I need to post some logs, or whatever is needed, set up the box with Serial port or what...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 05:15:20 am by Anton »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Ready to get an Ipod
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 01:35:05 pm »
if the old DMS doesn't work you either need to corrupt the ramdisk.sig (do a search, theres plenty of instructions in threads about that) to complete the patch process, or you've failed to actually patch the box and damaged your original DMS which is quite hard to do if you use the hack CD.

The original DMS should always work, unless the patch is partially completed in which case the .sig file checks are reversed until the patching process is complete (this is an over simplification but it will do for the purposes of this dicussion.)

if that does not work, I suggest you find someone near by that has done the hack themselves with sucess and see if they'll help you.  the hack shouldn't take 15 to 20 minutes start to finish.

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:52:17 pm »

did you try rename ramdisk.sig to ramdisk.org and copying phatd.sig to ramdisk.sig?

I just gave this a try just now.  Head unit still does not recognize the box is attached.  I may have damaged the original DMS.  I used the Hack CD to reformat/repair partitions on the original DMS.  Would that ruin it?

I guess I will have to find a local with a good DMS.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 03:20:54 pm by Anton »

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 02:55:31 pm »
So,

anyone local to Pittsburgh able to lend a good DMS?

:(

Offline sparky3

• Getting the hang of things.
  • www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 05:15:09 am »
I'm in Columbus - about a 4-5 hour drive, but I would be more than willing to help you if you drive up.

Shawn

Offline ecb5

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 11:46:48 am »
did you try rename ramdisk.sig to ramdisk.org and copying phatd.sig to ramdisk.sig?

I just gave this a try just now.  Head unit still does not recognize the box is attached.  I may have damaged the original DMS.  I used the Hack CD to reformat/repair partitions on the original DMS.  Would that ruin it?

I guess I will have to find a local with a good DMS.

Sorry, i am a newbie here but i don't think the hack cd should or could damage the original dms...if used as it should be.
Why did you have to reformat... because it stoped working?
Have you tried uploading the firmware on the original and see if you have the forceupdate on it?

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 02:57:32 pm »
Sparky,

I will be coming to Columbus area in October to have some work done on my VW TDI.  I'll send you a message soon as I know when I will be heading out.  Thanks.

THe CD can certainly damage the original DMS.  THat is why it warns to take the original out when swapping drives.  I was in the repair screen, and inserted the Original.  It said there was a bad partition.  (no name and PHTDATA)  So i repaired partitions, and formatted.  OOps  :-[
Since the Box was Half patched, all that was needed was to finish the patch with the Ramdisk.sig modification, I beleive.  Since putting in the Bad original DMS, the Head Unit will not recognize the box.  So I will need a Good DMS to get the HU to see the BOX, then finish the patch with the ramdisk.sig corrupted new HDD.  Then I believe I will be all set, except for having a hosed DMS  :'(

If the box was patched halfway with the original DMS.  Is it possible that it would become Unpatched?  In that case, I would have to run the Patch again with a good DMS.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 02:57:56 pm by Anton »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 09:35:03 am »
Anton, I am not convinced that your original DMS is bad.  You have posts all over the place, so it is difficult to tell exactly what you have done.  At least as of two weeks ago your original DMS was working, and your problem was with the new DMS.

If you reformat the original DMS, it erases all data but it does not erase the drive signature.  Just because you get a "no changer" message it does not mean the DMS is bad.  You may need to disconnect and reconnect the cable at the back of the phatbox again, as you had to before.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 02:07:03 pm »
Mark,

Thanks for your help.  Just trying to organize my posts to this thread...

Here is what I have done so far:

Using Hack CD, I tried the patch and failed, try try again.  Finally heard the unlock message.
finished the process with the hack CD on the new HDD, but it didn't work in the box.
tried the dd command, still didn't work
changed the rc pairs, no help.  Box would not boot with new HDD at all.
Tried downloading the firmware and unzipping, deleting forceupdate.  still nothing
I even formatted the original DMS, and unzipped the firmware into it, and reinitialized it with PMM, and tried the hack CD again.

The original DMS still worked, so I used it for a while.
Had to do some work on the car, and disconnected the battery.  After recoding the Head Unit, I had to reattach the phatbox cable with the Original DMS.
This worked, so I was still using the original DMS.

I decided to try the process again with the hack CD.
On running the hack CD, it opens to the repair screen.  Instead of inserting the DMS when prompted, I hit enter, then inserted the DMS, which examined it for errors on the repair screen.  Found bad partitions with unrecoverable errors.  It listed the partitions as No Name & PHTDATA.  I ran a full repair.  This is what damaged the DMS, I believe.  I just wasn't paying atention to what I was doing.

All that was needed was to corrupt the ramdisk.sig file as said before.  If I can get the Headunit and box talking again, I think I will be able to complete the patch, and use the new HDD.  I found a local to help me out.

My question is, since the patch was never completed with the corrupted ramdisk.sig file, is it possible that what I've done so far is no longer on the box?  that it is no longer unlocked, partially?

another question,  does the ramdisk.sig file need to be corrupted on each new HDD?  if i were to have more than one.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 02:25:05 pm by Anton »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 03:43:38 pm »
Apart from the fact that the original DMS does not currently work in the phatbox, is there anything else to suggest that it is damaged?

If you load it in the cradle and go into Windows, do both the phtsys and phtdta partitions show up?  DMS Doctor successfully runs?  Can you transfer music to the DMS?

After you reformat the DMS, you have to reload the firmware onto the DMS using the PMM software.  If you did so but did not delete the forceupdate and forcesettings files, when you put it in the phatbox it would try to update the firmware on the box, which could give you a "no changer" message if you turn on the head unit while it is trying to update.

Try booting up the hack CD again with the DMS in the cradle, and see if it goes to the repair screen or if you can get to the point of building a new DMS.  If it gets that far, I think the original DMS is fine.

As far as the ramdisk.sig thing goes, the phatbox is not a living thing that heals itself, so it should still be in a partially unlocked state.  And you are not corrupting that for each new HDD, you should be running that off of the original DMS to patch the box.  Once the box is patched it will stay patched, so you need only build a new DMS without worrying about the patch again.

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 05:30:59 pm »
phtsys and phtdta both show up in windows.

DMS doctor: Fail, MD5 checksum failed H:\aadec.sig

I have deleted forceupdate, but did not find any forcesettings file

I will try to boot the hack disk again, and maybe try to reformat the original DMS again to start with a blank slate.  For some reason profiles.ini  in both phtsys and phtdta.

Update:
I was able to use boot the hack CD with the original DMS in place.  I used the Hack CD to reformat this DMS.

Now, how should I proceed:
1. load the firmware on the original with PMM, and delete forceupdate file
2. Plug the DMS into the box, and see if the head unit will recognize it.
3. boot the patch CD, and start the process from scratch.
4. then, corrupt the ramdisk.sig file, and plug into box again.
5. if nothing works, use the dd command to copy the drive sig, or whatever that does.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 06:31:04 pm by Anton »

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 07:06:37 pm »
Yea, the original DMS is working!

After a format and reloading firmware with PMM, it works.

Tonight I will get to the patch, and working on the new HDD.  gotta get back to work around here. ::)

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 01:19:55 am »
I ran the patch process again, but haven't gotten much furthur.  Original DMS still works, New HDD, still doesn't work

-Plugged patched DMS into Box, 'unlocked' message plays.
-swapped HDD, finished the patch process with CD V_1.5
-Loaded Music on new DMS, and plugged into box.  'Chk Magazine' message.
-swapped good DMS back into cartridge.  Plugged into box, and it works fine.  Bootload.log says everything successful.

There are alot of other log files.  Should I post some of these?

DMS doctor Fails on the Good DMS.  "MD5 checksum failed: H:\aadec.sig

Now what to do?
use the dd command, or
corrupt the ramdisk.sig, or
upload firmware on new DMS, or...?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 01:23:13 am by Anton »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 06:15:14 am »
Reloading the firmware on the new DMS certainly could not hurt.  Just be sure to delete the forceupdate and forcesettings files.

Since you heard the unlocked message, the patch probably applied itself correctly.  No need to corrupt ramdisk.sig.  You could run the patch on the box again a few times for good measure.

Do not use the dd method, it should not be necessary.

The "check magazine" message instead of "no changer" means the box is functioning and communicating with the head unit.  I occasionally get an "eject" message on my Kenwood, and it means the DMS is not seated properly.  If you get the message again, try putting just a bit of pressure on the new DMS, towards the box, and see if it connects.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 08:56:35 pm »
Just a thought - Please tell me if this is impossible...  :-/

Could it be that the new disk drive is setup to be in slave mode for some reason?  I guess that if this was the case then it would still be seen by the PC, but not by the Phatbox?    Sorry - but I am not able to try this myself at the moment.

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 09:35:42 pm »
It is not set of for Slave, but according to the diagram, the Jumper is set to 'CSEL Selection'

I Don't know if this is causing the problem or not.

There are three positions:
Master of Single = no jumper
Slave = Vertical Jumper
CSEL Selection = Horizontal Jumper

I'll try to take the jumper off.

Offline ecb5

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 09:44:15 pm »
i would make it master

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 07:43:26 am »

Could it be that the new disk drive is setup to be in slave mode for some reason?  I guess that if this was the case then it would still be seen by the PC, but not by the Phatbox?    Sorry - but I am not able to try this myself at the moment.

That would definately cause that problem if it's chosing slave instead of master (must be /dev/hda on phatbox, that would make it /dev/hdb)... Personally I always set them to master since I dislike automatic choices.

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 05:09:35 pm »
I took off the jumper, reloaded the firmware, everything is working great with the new 60 G Hitachi drive.

THanks for all the help everyone.

Case Closed! ::)

Offline ecb5

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 06:57:43 pm »

Congratulations Anton.
I am glad everything is fine now.

And thanks to S80_UK for the final punch to this problem.