Author Topic: Audi phathack fails after headunit mod  (Read 6859 times)

Offline dewolf142

• PhatHacker
Audi phathack fails after headunit mod
« on: August 22, 2006, 05:52:28 am »
Okay, so here's one I haven't seen any posts about yet.

I've just tired hacking my audi phatnoise (v7.02) to run a 60 GB HDD, up from 20, but it seems i've hit a brick wall.  I've been using the phathack iso (v1.5) and have gotten as far as modding the original DMS and getting the audio message from my headunit indicating the hack is complete.  Then when I try the new drive, the head unit seems to not recognize it and simply indicates that "no cd" is present.  I've tried from the beginning multiple times, without luck.  The original DMS still works.  Oh, and it seems odd, but when I try a reformat of my newer, bigger DMS, the phathack utility (Alt-F3 tells me that is has been found to be corrupt and that i need to reformat, even if i've just reformatted it?!?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Audi phathack fails after headunit mod
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 06:23:05 am »
If you have gotten as far as hearing the audio message, your phatbox should be patched.  You can for good measure run the patch a couple of times.  

It's not clear what you've done to build the new DMS.  Did you use the phathack ISO to build the new DMS?

Even if you did that, if you reformatted it later, as you have indicated it, the DMS would be empty.  You have to reload the firmware onto the new DMS, using the Phatnoise software.  After reloading the firmware, delete the files "forcesettings" and "forceupdate" from the phtsys partition.

If you've done all this and it is still not working, try posting your boot logs and one of the gurus on the site might be able to tell you where the problem is.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline dewolf142

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 06:40:26 am »
Sure enough, no sooner than do I post help, but I figure it out.  Thanks for your help though - you were exactly correct - the reformat erased everything (duh).  The odd thing is that the first time i did this, i had not reformatted the dms.  I performed the phathack build and I had the same result.  I don't know, but whatever the case, it's all peachy now.  Thanks for your help, and the quick response!

Also, i'd be interested in some of the nitty gritty of how this hack works.  How did you guys figure out what was needed to modify the phat box?  

This site is great.  Thanks for all the good reading!

Offline cherbert

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 05:24:07 pm »
Okay, so here's one I haven't seen any posts about yet.

I've just tired hacking my audi phatnoise (v7.02) to run a 60 GB HDD, up from 20, but it seems i've hit a brick wall.  I've been using the phathack iso (v1.5) and have gotten as far as modding the original DMS and getting the audio message from my headunit indicating the hack is complete.  Then when I try the new drive, the head unit seems to not recognize it and simply indicates that "no cd" is present.  I've tried from the beginning multiple times, without luck.  The original DMS still works.  Oh, and it seems odd, but when I try a reformat of my newer, bigger DMS, the phathack utility (Alt-F3 tells me that is has been found to be corrupt and that i need to reformat, even if i've just reformatted it?!?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I've got almost exactly the same problem, however when I run a repair on the new DMS, everything comes back okay. Both the Phatnoise software and PhatMac recognize the DMS unit, but when I put the new 100GB DMS in the Phatbox, I get NO CD on the head unit. I've flashed the Phatbox several times and gont through building a new DMS over 10 times. Help?

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 06:47:15 pm »
Cherbert,

Did you get the message on your headunit that the box was patched?  Is the firmware loaded onto the new DMS.  Is the Forceupdate and Forcesettings files deleted?  Is the New HDD set to Master?

-anton
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 06:47:26 pm by Anton »

Offline cherbert

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 09:28:18 pm »
Cherbert,

Did you get the message on your headunit that the box was patched?  Is the firmware loaded onto the new DMS.  Is the Forceupdate and Forcesettings files deleted?  Is the New HDD set to Master?

-anton

Firmware should be loaded, I believe. I did get the message that my Phatbox was patched. I didn't even think to check the master/slave settings, I'll check that. I'll also check the Forceupdate and Forcesettings files. Are they found in PHTSYS or a subfolder thereof? Thanks for the help.

Offline cherbert

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 04:35:50 am »
Okay, there are no Force* files on my DMS but I'm not sure how I can set the HDD to master. My firmware is 7.02.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 08:59:39 am »
Okay, there are no Force* files on my DMS but I'm not sure how I can set the HDD to master. My firmware is 7.02.

There should be a diagram on the HDD itself that shows which pins (located on the back of the drive, next to the IDE connector) need to be jumpered to set the drive to master, slave, single, or cable select.  If there is not a diagram on the drive, check the documentation that came with it, or the manufacturer website.  If the HDD is set to anything but master, the Phatbox will not recognize it.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 03:43:51 pm »
on laptop drives, generally in my experience, no jumper = master ... but there may be exceptions to that.

Offline cherbert

• PhatHacker
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 05:42:04 pm »
on laptop drives, generally in my experience, no jumper = master ... but there may be exceptions to that.

Which is how I left it. It's a WD1000VE. I can't find any documentation on the drive other than a spec sheet.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 08:27:00 pm by sbingner »