Author Topic: PhatBox in 2005 Honda Accord  (Read 8528 times)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
PhatBox in 2005 Honda Accord
« on: November 15, 2006, 09:33:18 am »
Well, with a PIE HON03/PC-SON adaptor I was able to get things working.   I encountered a problem where since I have the adaptor installed in the trunk apparently it's too sensitive to the presence of voltage bleedover on the 'ACC' lead and would randomly turn off.   I was able to solve this by grounding the 'ACC' lead to the Ground at the adaptor itself, and plan on using a less sensitive relay to do this only when the ACC lead is grounded by the stereo.    

HU  GND                    <-> GND   ADAPTOR
      GND-ON/DIS-OFF <-> +5v

If anybody knows how to make the relay circuit to connect the +5v lead to the ground line when it is grounded by the HU please let me know.   I plan on researching that tomorrow.

Once I have that working, I'll have to work on some custom code to get the phatbox to power on and off properly.   While playback is halted it never turns itself off completely and would end up sucking alot of power.  

Offline az1324

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: PhatBox in 2005 Honda Accord
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 07:03:09 pm »
There is a ground on/disconnect off line pulled high at +5 by the adapter instead of a 12v acc line?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 10:57:14 pm »
Correct.   I just installed a relay from radio shack and connected the coil to the "ACC" line from the head unit and +12V... and the "Normally Open" line to "ACC" on the adaptor and "Ground" to the adaptor... so when it sees the ACC line from the HU get grounded it grounds it to the local ground, thereby eliminating bleed.   This works to get it to run and not cut on and off -- the raido shack relay isn't as sensitive as the integrated relay

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 10:59:10 pm »
Now I just need to figure out how to get it to power itself off properly... apparently the adaptor or the sony firmware never shuts down the OS.   I'm hoping I can just have an idle timeout where it turns itself off or something, but that'll suck if I switch to radio for a while then switch back to the phatbox

Offline az1324

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 07:39:27 pm »
Couldn't you just add a capacitor across the acc line to ground to filter out the spikes?

I think the phatbox goes to standby when the bus on line is grounded.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 11:15:33 pm »
I'll look at that see if I can figure something out -- don't know about the cap.

The strange thing, is if the car is not on when the phatbox is first connected it will power up and turn itself off until the car is turned on... it just never shuts back down

Hopefully I can work something out with the Bus On line...

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 11:30:03 pm »
Well, the adaptor IS grounding the "Bus On" line, but that's not doing it... it does however keep +5v on the "Data" line even when powered off... which seemed strange, so I tried cutting that line when it's supposed to be powered off to see if that got it to shut down... but it happily kept the hdd spinning away with the bus on line grounded and the data line cut
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 11:56:42 pm by sbingner »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 12:24:36 am »
Strange... according to http://cleggy.umcus.org/protocol.htm what you said is right, when "Bus On" is pulled low, it should go into sleep mode.   I wonder if it's just something wrong with the phatnoise code in the 8051?   Wish we had that figured out so I could mess with it :(

Offline az1324

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 07:23:02 pm »
Well I can tell you that with a Sony headunit after the acc is turned off the phatbox shuts down about 10 seconds later.  you might want to try grounding the data line instead of just cutting it for at least 10 seconds and see what happens.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 11:20:29 pm »
Can you tell me what exactly the sony HU does when it powers down?  Grounds Bus On, etc

The data line is variable while it's on -- my ammeter says it's usually about 2.5v

I think we'll have to re-code the 51d program, get a new cpld firmware or make a proxy between phatd and 51d or 51d and CPLD to make the voice prompts work...

Offline az1324

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 11:57:15 pm »
I don't have the sony setup right now so I can't tell you exactly what it does.  It could very well send a turn off command before powering down the bus.

I have tried using the becker firmware with the sony flash and with and without the copy of sony 51d.  None of that worked, though the becker and sony protocols are very similar.  

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 12:46:47 am »
Just an aside FYI - the 51d and phatd files don't really matter much cross-firmware -- I ran my sony protocol on the Kenwood phatd and 51d fine...  need to start working on my proxy 51d to make it think it's talking to a HU with SSA support ;)