Author Topic: Whats The Truth? Audi PB in BMW....  (Read 7713 times)

Offline Niggo

• PhatHacker
Whats The Truth? Audi PB in BMW....
« on: November 21, 2006, 04:34:24 pm »
Hi from germany!

...last year i bought a pb for my Audi, now i sold the audi and bought 2002er BMW E46....
i remember i read something about how to use a audi phatbox on bmw!? but i cant find anything now!? Phatnoise support tells me "no chance, buy the bmw phatbox!"....

whats right? is there any way to get it work in my BMW? maybe with the correct blitzsafe adapter?

it would be great if anybody can tell me if there is any 100% solution? otherway i need to sell the audi stuff and buy bmw pb....

Niko

Offline Evilution

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
Re: Whats The Truth? Audi PB in BMW....
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 04:38:41 pm »
I'm not too hot on the PB yet but maybe updating the firmware would help
http://phatbox.sixpak.org/firmware/

Offline Niggo

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 05:17:00 pm »
...and how to connect the pb to the bmw changer wire? which kind of blitzsafe adapter do i need? :)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 12:51:10 am »
That's gonna be a problem -- the adaptor has to use a different signalling voltage.

What other adaptors are available for your BMW?   If you can get one to Kenwood or Sony I know you can get it running with one of those.

Offline Niggo

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:56:54 am »
Most times people use Blitzsafe ALP DMX V1 to get it work on bmw headunits! but i also can get Kenwood interface adapters for my headunit? also sony is available!
with these interfaces i can use Kenwood/sony MP3 changers on stock headunit...

should i try the kenwood interface? do i need to change the plug on the phatbox cable? its an Audi....

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 06:14:25 am »
That's gonna be a problem -- the adaptor has to use a different signalling voltage.

What other adaptors are available for your BMW?   If you can get one to Kenwood or Sony I know you can get it running with one of those.
It is a simple jumper change inside the generic Blitzsafe adapter (it is even labeled). You need the Blitzsafe adapter, the DIN connector end for the Blitzsafe end of the PhatBox cable, and the mini connector and shell for the PhatBox end. You can cut the ends off the existing PhatBox VW or Audi cable - there's enough wires in it, they just don't go to the right places for the BMW version.

I actually did this (making the cable and changing the jumpers on the Blitzsafe) for a friend who owned a BMW and wanted a PhatBox. He's been using it for over a year with no problems.

Offline Niggo

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 11:48:01 am »
ok, i need to buy a Blitzsafe BMW/ALP DMX V.1, change the jumper inside and make the right cable? same way with kenwood interface without changing any jumpers?
this is the answer i wanted to hear ;)
i have an old PB cable in my garage, the only thing i need to look is what pin is what color of cable, but this is no problem :)
the right pins for BMW i can see on this link, right? http://www.phathack.com/pinouts.html

hmm maybe i choose kenwood interface, its getting easier in germany....

we dont have blitzsafe here

ok, one last question! i've read that change directory on kenwood HU is the Pause button, buuuut my BMW HU dont have a pause button!? will it be the "2" button like on my audi HU?

I'm sorry asking so much questions, please forgive me.... :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:50:29 am by Niggo »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 08:14:41 pm »
Changing genre on the kenwood is SCAN -- if you don't have something similar you won't be able to get SSA

Considering the simplicity of the BMW interface -- I'd really reccomend going with that.   Unless your adaptor was KNNSR (Kenwood Satellite Radio) you may lose some functionality.