Author Topic: Software won't partition or write to drive.  (Read 5494 times)

analgravy2

Software won't partition or write to drive.
« on: December 07, 2006, 08:57:20 am »
We're trying to get this to work, but after we put the new hard drive back into the DMS cartridge, it says, "Unable to write to drive!" in bold red letters on the phathack boot CD  :-/and won't work.  We've formatted the drive several times and get the same error message every time we run the phathack boot disk.  The drive might be deftective, but it worked fine in the HP laptop.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.   :-/

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: Software won't partition or write to drive.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:14:52 am »
I assume that the drive powers up (you can here it spinning...?).

Is the drive set to Master, Slave or Cable Select?  It normally needs to be set to Master for Phatbox use.  It could quite possibly work in the laptop with the other settings, so I would not suspect the drive just yet.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 12:15:55 am by S80_UK »

analgravy2

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 06:50:31 am »
The drive works perfectly fine in the laptop.  We formatted it and it refuses to go past the mentioned screen.  I'm Jeremy and my friend Ryan is the guy who's doing all the work.  He's way smarter than me at this stuff so if he can't figure it out I guess I'm screwed.  I"ll send a screen shot later on if I attempt it again.  Thanks!

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 07:11:09 pm »
The Master, Slave or Cable Select setting is normally set by a movable link on the drive which connects between different pins.  The positions for this link are often printed on the drive itelf or in the drive manufacturer's literature.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 07:11:27 pm by S80_UK »

analgravy2

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 08:39:53 am »
I didn't notice any master/slave settings on the drive.  It, like the original DMS cartridge, is also Toshiba.  I put it together just like the original.  It's only a 60 gig and I'm greedy so I'm going to wait and buy a brand new Western Digital (at least 80 gigs).  I threw the 60 gig back into my HP laptop and it works great.  I'm cursed when it comes to computers, so once I get the WD drive I'll probably be living on these boards for a long long time  :)  Thank you for your replys by the way.  It's nice to know there's good people in the world.

Offline brooksware2000

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 08:12:54 pm »
I get the same exact error that you are getting whenever I try to format my drives.  I have 2 brand new 100gig and 1 40gig drive.  I get the same error message on all of the drives when attempting to use the boot cd.  Sometimes it tells me the partitions are corrupt and errors out while attempting to recreate/format the partitions.