Author Topic: FLAC 1.1.3  (Read 6117 times)

Offline rob_hutton

• A few posts under my belt.
FLAC 1.1.3
« on: December 07, 2006, 02:46:08 pm »
Does anyone know how good is the new FLAC 1.1.3 for encoding music files to be used in a pahtbox, are the files size better and if by what percentage/size, is it best to go with winamp or some other way.

Thanks
 :-/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 08:45:16 pm by rob_hutton »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: FLAC 1.1.3
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 08:29:15 pm »
Could you be more specific?  Using it how?  for PC playback?  for encoding for phatbox playback?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 12:10:55 am »
Does anyone know how good is the new FLAC 1.1.3 for encoding music files to be used in a pahtbox, are the files size better and if by what percentage/size, is it best to go with winamp or some other way....
First - thanks for bringing the new version to my attention.  :)

Well, according to the FLAC site it offers better compression and other benefits (see here http://flac.sourceforge.net).  Of course, the Phatnoise Media Manager / Music Manager have the encoder already built in (I don't think it is changeable) but I have used FLAC 1.1.2 separately for encoding from WAV to FLAC for the Phatbox before.  Since I have a professional interest in FLAC as well, I will look into this and post any findings here.  Basically I will rip a few CDs, compare with the earlier version for encode and decode performance and compatibility, and also test for compatibility with the Phatbox.  Give me a day or two...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 12:11:27 am by S80_UK »

Offline rob_hutton

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 08:07:24 am »
Thanks for that

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 08:22:17 pm »
OK - so I have now had some fun playing with FLAC encoding using the new (version 1.1.3b), the old (version 1.1.2a) and Phatnoise Media Manager 3.92 (FLAC version 1.1.2, but encode settings unknown).  

I ripped 6 CDs to WAV with iTunes, then used the different FLAC encoders to generate sets of FLAC files.  For PMM, I allowed it to do the ripping.  The versions of FLAC downloadable from the sourceforge site include a Windows front-end.  I left that at the default settings, except for the removal of the replay gain function.

Encoding - Both versions 1.1.2a and 1.1.3b offer usefully better compression to FLAC than the PMM software (files can easily be 10% to 15% smaller = 10% to 15% more CD's on a hard disk).  1.1.3b is marginally better than 1.1.2a (by about 1%) at the same setting (default under Windows is level 6).  However, the new 1.1.3b version is also 25% slower when encoding at that setting.  If ripping and converting at the same time, this difference would generally be less noticable since the ripping from CD often limits the speed.  Knocking version 1.1.3b back to level 3 or 4 seems to offer roughly equivalent file size and conversion speed to 1.1.2a at level 6.

Decoding - All versions, are compatible at the binary level (as they should be for a lossless codec).  I tested with about 12 CD's worth of files (8 Gigs of WAV) encoded and decoded with different versions (twice, with old codec to new codec, and new codec to old codec).  I then did a binary compare on the WAV files reconstituted in each case and they were completely identical.  Files from the new 1.1.3b version also play correctly in the Phatbox (and on my Roku SoundBridge).  Phatnoise Media Manager also handles tags correctly from the new files (tagging was not changed anyway) so the voice announcements generated by PMM are also correct.

Summary - The FLAC encoder in Phatnoise Media Manager is embedded in a DLL along with other encoders and so cannot be separated.  However, it is possible to rip CDs and convert to FLAC using the new encoder outside of PMM, and this does bring a space saving advantage of 10% to 15% on the DMS, at the expense of less integration in the ripping, tagging and DMS syncing process.  

I hope that folks find this useful.   :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 08:24:35 pm by S80_UK »

Offline jgruiz

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 04:46:59 am »
The one new feature in FLAC version 1.1.3b that I don't think PMM will be compatible with is the ALBUM ART tag. What I mean by that is that PMM won't be able to generate that tag and save it onto 1.1.3b FLAC files.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 11:31:18 pm »
The one new feature in FLAC version 1.1.3b that I don't think PMM will be compatible with is the ALBUM ART tag. What I mean by that is that PMM won't be able to generate that tag and save it onto 1.1.3b FLAC files.
Sure - because PMM uses 1.1.2 when it generates files.  Having said that, I don't know what PMM does if you give it a file with the ALBUM ART tag used - it should just ignore it.  Certainly PMM has no issues editing the normal range of tags such as title, album, artist, genre, etc in files that have come from 1.1.3b