Author Topic: Can't Eject DMS?!?!?  (Read 4042 times)

Offline c0ckac0la

• A few posts under my belt.
  • I didn't sign up for this...
Can't Eject DMS?!?!?
« on: November 30, 2006, 06:09:22 am »
Brand new unit. >:(I just got the cradle setup and plugged in.  When I try and eject the cartridge a window pops up and says to disable norton anti-virus or any program associated--such as norton protected recycle bin, my computer, etc.  I have not altered the original setup of the DMS cartridge at all.  Just wanted to make sure it powered up and connectivity was good...Anyone know what's up?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Can't Eject DMS?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:37:17 pm »
something has a file locked on one of the dms partitions. virus scanners and other tools sometimes do this.. do you have an explorer window open, or that window for auto run that pops up when you insert the DMS by chance?

Offline c0ckac0la

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 03:53:47 am »
No other programs running that I can think of.  I have panda on auto protect, but then disabled it.  No change.  My wife and I share the computer, and she stays logged in most of the time.  I have had problems with other progams in the past due to this.  Maybe that has something to do with it?  I have the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in Sys Tray.....however, I can't figure out what sequence to both save and stop the HDD.  Do I need an updated driver?  I was given Music Manager 1.87 with my setup--I also can't seem to update this. Message appears stating no internet connectivity, yet I see no adjustable settings to enable connectivity.  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 04:22:32 am by c0ckac0la »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 07:49:58 am »
Upgrading to Music Manager 2.30 couldn't hurt:  http://www.phatnoise.com/products/software/PMM_2.30_PHATNOISE_WWW.exe

Lots of things can prevent the program from being able to eject the drive, even just having any other windows open.  

Also, with the DMS plugged, right clicking on My Computer, then click Manage, and go to Device Manager.  Then find the DMS under Disk Drives, check the properties, and go to Policies to make sure "Optimize for quick removal" is checked.

If you try everything and keep getting the message, you should still be able to transfer music and save it.  Try transferring a few tracks, then do the save and eject operation.  If you still get "can't eject DMS" message, just close the program and then from Safely Remove Hardware Icon, stop the DMS.  I had to do this on another computer, and it still worked fine.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline c0ckac0la

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 01:32:43 am »
Mark, you're the man! The new version of PMM did the trick.  Thanks for the link!!

Offline canadien37

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 02:34:28 pm »
another tip is to check that System Restore is not monitoring the two DMS partitions....That has caused a failure to eject in my case.....In other words, turn it off on those partitions.. ;)