Author Topic: reformatting DMS  (Read 5193 times)

Offline douche baggins

• PhatHacker
reformatting DMS
« on: January 07, 2007, 07:59:56 pm »
OK so my DMS did not save properly last time I ejected it from the cradle and now I fear it has been corrupted. Every time I insert it into the cradle, PMM comes up and the DMS starts to load. It suddenly stops at 50% and closes out PMM. I have been trying to figure out a way to erase the entire cartridge and reformat it manually. Can anyone help me?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: reformatting DMS
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:11:13 pm »
Easy... go to your PHTDTA drive and delete EVERYTHING

that will wipe out your playlist data but leave your system files intact... don't delete PHTSYS unless you want to reload your 'firmware'

oh yea, you may want to run "chkfsk /f" on the drive in case there are fs errors
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 09:11:41 pm by sbingner »

Offline douche baggins

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 03:05:48 pm »
Thanks for your help. I will give it a shot when I get home. As far as the problem I am experiencing, has anyone heard of this before?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:05:20 pm »
what version of PMM are you using? i've run into issues with the newer pmm similar to that.

I would start by renaming the profile directory and moving the db files out of the root of the phtdta directory first and see if that helps.

Offline douche baggins

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 05:35:16 pm »
I'm running the latest version of PMM but I have also tried opening my DMS with music manager and get the same thing. I erased the DMS and now I am able to get PMM up and running and am even able to save files to the DMS and play from it on my computer. However when I put it in my car it won't load. All i get is "corrupt track." I have tried to repair it through PMM but get the same thing each time. I am going to erase it again and start all over. If all else fails...I guess I will have to buy a new DMS cartridge.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 08:17:14 am »
If you're getting corrupt track, it could be problems with the encoding of your MP3s... you may want to try FLAC format or encode them as static 160Kbit 44.1KHz or somesuch

Offline douche baggins

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 03:41:47 pm »
I will check my MP3s but I doubt that is the issue. I have been using the same format with my VW phatbox for the last 4 years with no issues. Also the DMS from my VW works flawlessly in my Infiniti but it is only 20gig.