Author Topic: Have I broken my phatbox?  (Read 6495 times)

Offline speedf

Have I broken my phatbox?
« on: September 08, 2008, 06:26:24 pm »
Hi,

I've been using my phatbox with my BMW for a good few months and I love it, but....

Recently I bought a new DMS which (I didn't realise at the time) had the latest Kenwood firmware (13.01) on it.  I put the DMS into the phatbox and watched as it started to re-programme the firmware.  Knowing not to interrupt this process, I let it fully continue.

Problem now is that my phatbox doesn't seem to work with the new DMS, or my original (BMW firmware) DMS.  Tried removing the cables and then re-inserting, but with no success.  When the phatbox starts up the red LED lights up, followed by the green.  There is then a very audible 'click' from the hard disk and both LEDs go out.

Can anyone help me?  Really don't want to consign the phatbox to the bin... *sniff*

Thanks in advance!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Have I broken my phatbox?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 04:58:42 am »
Your box now thinks it should be using a Kenwood Head Unit... so no, you haven't broken it.

Use my DMS tools to perform a 'Firmware Update', and check the option 'Install non-hacked firmware' if you are not hacked.  Also make sure the option 'Reflash box' remains checked and of course select the BMW firmware ;)

Insert the DMS back into your box, let it update and hopefully you'll be back to normal!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline speedf

Re: Have I broken my phatbox?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:45:05 am »
Thanks VorTechS, that worked a treat!  I'm now back to enjoying phatbox music in my car  :D