Author Topic: Flash codes? VW phatbox has multiple LED flash codes...  (Read 7558 times)

Offline jtnfoley

• A few posts under my belt.
Flash codes? VW phatbox has multiple LED flash codes...
« on: June 19, 2008, 05:28:06 pm »
Upon power-up, the PB flashes about once per second for thirteen flashes, pauses, flashes once, pauses, and repeats. It does this for two or three cycles, then switches to a rapid green flash (8 or 10 / sec) with solid red.

Disk Dr. said there were corrupt files, which I tried to fix with DMSHack. The same flashy behavior repeated afterwards...

Any thoughts? Are there flash codes documented anywhere?

The HU never (apparently) recognizes the PB, BTW.

Offline jtnfoley

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: Flash codes? VW phatbox has multiple LED flash codes...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:00:43 pm »
Update: PhatHack DMS Tools "Create New DMS" appeared successful (I did backup the unhappy DMS first) and Sync/Save/Eject in Media Manger worked, but the same flashy act prevailed.
I then unzipped VW firmware 7.0 over the PHTSTS partition and the PB flashed appropriate to a firmware update (steady flashing at about 4 Hz for a few minutes then both LEDs went out.)

I have a PhatBox again! I'm psyched... Its; nice when a community such as this arises to support abandonware (especially cool/expensive abandonware we've come to rely upon!)

Now to get a bigger, lower RPM disk and go to town.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: Flash codes? VW phatbox has multiple LED flash codes...
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 12:26:23 am »
Now to get a bigger, lower RPM disk and go to town.

Glad you got it sorted.  For your new disk, the best advice seems to be to avoid 250GB drives.  160GB seems safe as an upper limit at present.