Author Topic: Phatnoise DMS problems  (Read 10765 times)

Offline curley

Phatnoise DMS problems
« on: November 14, 2008, 09:29:09 am »
I'm having a problem with my Phatnoise DMS. It plays in the car but when i try to update the music the computer/Phatnoise Music Manager does not connect, press the reconnect button and a box comes up for less than a second which shows the DMS is initializing for about 25% then stops.I have had the Phatnoise for about 4 years on the back of the DMS it says DMS - 020G rev B
It has never had any hacks so it is standard not to sure on the firmware either sorry.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Phatnoise DMS problems
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 07:45:05 pm »
Do both partitions of the DMS show up in Windows explorer?

I would suggest checking the disk for errors, including a full surface scan.  If the scan hangs, the disk could be about to fail -- not unlikely for a four year-old drive.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline curley

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:08:19 pm »
Sorry but I'm not that good on computers or anything like this.
"Do both partitions of the DMS show up in Windows explorer"
How do i get my DMS to show up on windows explorer to check the partitions?
When i connect the DMS to the base and the base to the computer the RED power light is on but i get nothing on the computer to say anything is connected. No DMS drives are showing in "My Computer"
This is about to get thrown in the bin lol and fit an ipod in the car which i would rather not do...
Help.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 07:42:16 am »
If everything is working properly, you should see two drives in My Computer, one called phtsys and the other called phtdta.  If you aren't seeing those, it's not connecting properly.

Only the red light comes on the cradle, no green light?  Have you changed anything on your computer since the last time it worked? 

Are you using XP or Vista?  Is it a USB 1.1 or 2.0 cradle?  If it's a 1.1 cradle, are the drivers loaded?

It might seem obvious, but check the connection from the cradle to the computer.  Try it in a different USB port if necessary.

If everything else checks out, it could just be a problem with the switch inside the cradle.  If you look down in the cradle slot, you'll see a little metal contact switch on one side.  When you push the DMS in, it should push that switch down, activating the connection.  (If you push it down with your finger, the green light will come on.)  That switch is flimsy and can get flattened easily, causing it not to work.  If that is the problem, you have to bend the switch back up -- carefully.

Offline curley

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 08:25:15 am »
If everything is working properly, you should see two drives in My Computer, one called phtsys and the other called phtdta.  If you aren't seeing those, it's not connecting properly. Not seeing the drives in My Computer

Only the red light comes on the cradle, no green light?  Have you changed anything on your computer since the last time it worked? Changed nothing since the last time it was working

Are you using XP or Vista?  Is it a USB 1.1 or 2.0 cradle?  If it's a 1.1 cradle, are the drivers loaded? Using Vista on main comp and XP on lappy doesn't work on either both have software loaded and nothing changed since last time working. Cradle is USB 2.0

It might seem obvious, but check the connection from the cradle to the computer.  Try it in a different USB port if necessary. Tried on different USB ports on both computers

If everything else checks out, it could just be a problem with the switch inside the cradle.  If you look down in the cradle slot, you'll see a little metal contact switch on one side.  When you push the DMS in, it should push that switch down, activating the connection.  (If you push it down with your finger, the green light will come on.) When i plug the cradle into the mains and press the metal contact down with my finger only the red light comes on no green. When i take finger of the contact red light turns off
Many thanks for your help Mark
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 08:28:06 am by curley »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 11:19:30 am »
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the problem is the cradle.  The red and green lights should be on when you press down the metal switch.

It could be something fairly simple, like proper contact not being made for some reason (that switch is prone to breakage), or the cradle has just died for some reason.

If it is the cradle, it can be fixed by anyone with a moderate knowledge of electronics.  The switch broke on my cradle, and an electrician friend fixed it by modding it with a proper on/off switch.

This is what I think, unless someone else has any thoughts.  Anyone?

Offline curley

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 01:53:58 pm »
I un-installed the Music Manager and used the original cd to install again. Half way through the install i got this error..
C:\ program files \ Phatnoise music manager \ data cab.
A decompression error has been detected. #6.
A decompression error has been detected._RW

I have taken the cradle appart and all seems to be ok. When i press the metal contact only the red light comes on. The DMS works fine in the car it's just that at the moment i cant update the music.

Edit... Just installed PMM version 2.30 still nothing from the cradle (Red light only) or the DMS not showing in My Computer...Confused now lol.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:53:55 pm by curley »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 07:28:24 pm »
A working USB 2.0 cradle should function on an XP or Vista machine, whether or not the Phatnoise software is installed.  It will show up as a USB Mass Storage device.  Try the cradle on a friend's computer, or even a few other computers, just to be sure.  Given that the DMS works in the car but not in the cradle, the cradle is the culprit.

You can check the drive if you happen to have an external USB case, or a friend with one.  You should be able to pop the drive into an external case, and if the partitions show up in My Computer, it will confirm that the cradle is the problem.

Offline curley

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 07:42:46 pm »
Yeah I'm thinking it's the cradle myself Mark.
Ive just put a shout out to some of the members from the car forum i use to see if anyone has a Phatnoise that lives close to me.
If i have to i will buy a external USB case..
Cheers matey for all your help..