Author Topic: modding help  (Read 6376 times)

Offline cooter79

• PhatHacker
modding help
« on: August 19, 2006, 11:20:15 pm »
Ok I read all the pages on using the iso disk to hack teh dms for my new drive. I coppied the file onto a cd-r and loaded it into a tray, restarted system and made it boot from the cd drive, the system just stops after showing all of the hardware on the bios and does nothing. I am runing xp if this helps!!!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:02:37 am by cooter79 »

Offline zero cool

• Getting the hang of things.
  • PhatHacker
Re: modding help
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:57:04 am »
did you just copy the file as is to the disc? you have to use a program to create the cd from the image file. the .ISO file is a disc image file. you need to use a CD burning program like Roxio or Nero and there is an option to create a disc from a "Disc Image". In Roxio, it defaults to another type of disc image, you have to make sure you select .ISO from the drop down menu bar and then search for the file you downloaded. the program will then make the disc from the file.

Zc

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 11:19:33 am »
Zerocool is correct.

Also note that the CD which the ISO image creates will not appear to have any files on it when you look at it under XP.  It is a Linux kernel and scripts, etc.  However, you don't need to know anything about Linux in order to use it.  If your PC is set to boot from the CD (sounds like it already is from your post) then you should be OK.  It does not upset your XP installation since it runs entirely from the CD.

Good luck.

Offline cooter79

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 11:06:38 pm »
Ok so i finally got a cd to be accepted and it booted from it. Now the problem I have is I start getting green messages before I even install the dms. It is saying something about usb's. I do not have a usb hub but everything I run has usb, keyboard, mouse, printer,ipod, pda. It is very frustrating because after I have placed the dms in while the green messages are occuring it will say phtdta and NO NAME files corrupt error???

then says it has to format and repair. I do this and then I don't have anything listed on the dms once this is done. I have not been able to get to the point to start any of the build for a new drive.  I also have run the dms doc to see what is missing and it likes to say the data mount no found, and system files fail. then I must reload teh firmware in the dms and the keg again. I am wearing a path in the grass to the car!!!!!

Please help!!!!! I am getting so frustrated with this system!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 11:10:35 pm by cooter79 »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 11:44:10 pm »
Steady, cooter79.

I don't know what messages you are getting, but usb errors can occur if you have a lot of devices connected when booting from the hack cd.  You only need to have the keyboard and usb cradle connected, so you can disconnect anything else.

When you format the DMS, naturally no data remains, just as if you formatted any other disk.  Once you run a format/repair, you just need to get back into Windows and use the Phatnoise software to reload the the firmware onto the DMS.  After doing that, delete the files "forceupdate" and "forcesettings" from the phtsys partition.

Now, I cannot overstate this:  You DO NOT have to reload the firmware onto the keg everytime you reload it onto the DMS, so STOP going back and forth to the car!

If you have formatted, repaired and reloaded firmware onto the DMS, and disconnected any unnecessary devices from your computer, you should be able to boot from the CD and carefully follow the instructions on the screen to properly patch your keg and build a new DMS.  I strongly suggest reading and re-reading this thread:  http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1122424315

Good luck!

Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline cooter79

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 12:43:30 am »
ok figured out one big problem, the keyboard I use turns off the f key function for other functions until it is in windows. So i was finally able to get farther. I am still getting a green message of : input:attranslatedset2keyboardon is90060/seriel0 when first started up before inserting dms. I was now able to get to the point were I could start the meg download but it is telling me this is an unsupported dms. I purchased this unit new without tampering. It seams like each time I try to do this hack with the current firmware installed it says partitions PHTSYS and NO NAME are Invalid, must format. So I format and then need to reload the firmware on the dms. Then I start the entire process over again. it seems like the firmware is removing the partion name but I can see the partions name as PHTDTA when veiwing in explorer. I know there has got to be something simple I am overlooking.

I appreciate everyones patience and help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline cooter79

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 01:02:07 am »
disregard last post by me!!!!

I finally got it all completed, my last question is the last screen shot.

it says the phatbox will only accept the new disk after is has been booted with a genuine dms cartridge with the flash software and the first play list has been activated.

Does this meen I have to swap around again to use the new disk or is it already done and I can just start adding music?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 09:45:42 am »
It means what is says.  You have to put the original DMS (which should now be patched) into the Keg so that it applies the patch, before you can use the new DMS.  If the patch applies itself correctly, you should hear the message something like "Your Phatbox is now unlocked."  If you do not hear that message, the patch did not complete.  Sometimes you have to run it a few times, and even alter some of the files to get it to complete.  But try it first and see what happens.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS