Author Topic: US Phatbox in Skoda Octavia II  (Read 7705 times)

Offline Exciter

• PhatHacker
US Phatbox in Skoda Octavia II
« on: June 13, 2006, 06:11:47 pm »
Hi guys
"long time listener, first time caller"  :)

I purchased my Phatbox from the US (I'm in Ireland), with the intention of installing it in my 05 Octavia.
Hey, Skoda=VW...should work, right? Wrong.

When I power up the head unit, the red light on the PB blinks. That's all that happens. No green light. Ever.

I thought at first it may be a cable issue, so a friend of mine stuck in his HU from a MkV Golf. It fired up straight away with no problems.

My HU is a Skoda "Stream", apparently manufactured by Visteon.

Subsequent web searches reveal there is an issue with the control voltage between US and European PBs, one being 12v the other 5v. While the VW apparently puts out the correct voltage, the Stream might not.

Has anyone come across this problem before? Is there any workarounds or should I just cut my losses and forget about the whole thing?

Thanks.

Offline az1324

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: US Phatbox in Skoda Octavia II
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 03:41:03 am »
maybe if you find out what protocol the head unit uses.  ive never seen a blinking red light.

Offline jjc

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 11:53:59 am »
Have you updated the firmware, I have one in a Skoda but with the Nav unit and have no problems but I did have to update the firmware first.

John

Offline Exciter

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 01:28:32 pm »
I didn't want to chance it, to be honest, as I don't know if the PB will be able to update itself when connected in the car.
I'm afraid that if I try to update the firmware, and it faile, I'll end up with something that's neither fish nor fowl.
Unless I can "undo" the firmware on just the cartridge afterwards?

Offline Exciter

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 01:29:05 pm »
Have you updated the firmware, I have one in a Skoda but with the Nav unit and have no problems but I did have to update the firmware first.

John

John
what Skoda have you?

Offline jjc

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 12:24:27 pm »
Octavia II with RNS2 sat system, all works really well where are you located?

Offline zero cool

• Getting the hang of things.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 04:13:26 pm »
The first thing i would do is determin if you have the correct voltage being fed to the PB. DO NOT TRY AND FLASH THE FIRMWARE unit you have verified this! you may end up with a dead unit.

If you find the voltage is not correct, you might have to do some custom fabricating to make this work. Inside on the circuit board there is a place for a power connector that most units dont have. you might have to add a cable to the solder connections on the PCB for power. you will then have to modify your cable to remove the power wires from connecting to the radio. this would give you a way to power the PB directly from the battery. Will it work past that??? I dont know, but take detailed notes and report back to us.

Best of Luck.

Zc

Offline sparky2002

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 02:52:38 pm »
I had the exact same problem in my Audi A3.  I had to earth the phatbox and then it worked.