Author Topic: Phatbox, more trouble than it's worth?  (Read 5072 times)

Offline Evilution

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
Phatbox, more trouble than it's worth?
« on: January 06, 2007, 05:20:16 pm »
Or more correctly, PHATNOISE, more trouble than they are worth.

I gave up trying to get a cradle, I just got a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter and attached it to the secondary IDE.
PC booted fine and recognised the DMS drive, I can look through it etc so it's fine.

Downloaded the media and music manager and installed OK.
It found the DMS fine. Clicked "hardware options" and was glad to see there was a firmware wizard.
Currently my PB is Audi coded (I think), the DMS is Kenwood keg coded and I wanted to change them both over to Sony.

Started the wizard, no files appear in the box, try to check for updates on the PN network, cannot connect. Clicked cancel.
Clicked "advanced" and a little window popped up telling me to be careful as this is the way to change the PB to a different HU make.

Sweet, that's exactly what I want to do. Clicked on "select product", And what a surprise, Cannot connect to server.

Any ideas because this thing just seems unnecessarily complicated, things have been killed at my hands for giving me less grief than this thing has. Phatbox just don't seem bothered about supporting the product but also won't let anyone else have a go either.

It's their ball and they want to keep it.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Phatbox, more trouble than it's worth?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 08:39:35 pm »

Offline Evilution

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 02:11:08 am »
Cheers, I already have those on my pc, I stuck them in a few directories but they still don't appear in the wizard.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:47:23 am »
Cheers, I already have those on my pc, I stuck them in a few directories but they still don't appear in the wizard.

If you download the files Sam pointed to, you have to update the DMS manually.  The updates will not show up in the wizard, as that only checks for updates from the Phatnoise server.  

Follow the instructions at the top of the download page:  Unzip all the files onto the phtsys partition of your DMS.  The next time you put the DMS in the PB, it will force an update to whichever firmware you have loaded.

Alternatively, keep trying the wizard.  The Phatnoise server is up and down all the time.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Evilution

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 01:22:10 pm »
Cheers, i'll give it a go.

Offline Evilution

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 06:48:47 pm »
Alright, that was pretty easy cheers everyone.
Plugged it all in, inserted the DMS. The HDD fired up for a few minutes and both red and green lights appeared.
After that it turned off and stayed off.

So back to my original problem that I will tag onto the end of the original post.