Author Topic: I think I need an original DMS in Vancouver BC  (Read 5555 times)

Offline jcapozzi

I think I need an original DMS in Vancouver BC
« on: July 13, 2007, 04:25:15 am »
Pretty sure my 20gb DMS has been corrupted.

Bought a Phatbox Red beta unit back in 2000, it died in 2005 after faithfully working with 3 Sony headunits, 3 different cars, and finally hooked up to a Traffic Pro. 

So, once a PB user, always a PB user, I bought a complete new VW/Audi unit on Ebay to replace it, and that unit died enroute to Canada from Florida last April (talk about bad timing, I had to sing to myself from Missouri onward). 

Not sure what happened to it, but it wouldn't power up at all.

Well, finally got settled in here in Vancouver, and decided I was tired of singing (plus it was scaring the natives something fierce), so I ordered ANOTHER VW/Audi Phatbox, with no DMS or cradle, Since I already had three cradles and 2 DMS carts), from a Chicagoland VW dealership. 

That was over a month ago, and thanks to the awesome efficiency of both the Canadian banking system AND Canada Post, it arrived yesterday.

Get it in the car, and it does light up, so it's getting power, though of course it's VW/Audi programmed, I need to update to Traffic Pro firmware.

Go through the PMM routine of updating firmware (DMS works fine from the cradle, and checks out ok with chkdsk and DMS DR.), plug the DMS into my replacement PB, and wait...and wait...and wait...for the green light to stop flashing.  Uh oh!  Leave it for an hour, come back, still flashing rapidly, though it'll cycle about every five minutes to all lights off, red light, 4 slow green flashes, then back to the green strobe of evil.

Do all the recommended things (totally unplug the PB from the Traffic Pro, totally unhook the Traffic Pro from power, corrupt ramdisk.sig, make a bootload.log file).  No joy, still getting the GLoD, and what's even more confusing, the bootload.log file is gone when I get the unit back into the cradle.  I'm gonna go down to the garage one more time tonight with a new bootload.log file created, and see if it eats it again.

I'm pretty sure the box itself is fine, and that whatever ate my other PB did some nasty things to the DMS, which is why I'm looking for another original so I can try the hack (besides, I need a bigger DMS anyway).

Any help and insight would be appreciated.

Offline jcapozzi

Re: I think I need an original DMS in Vancouver BC
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 02:12:43 am »
Got a bootload.log this time:

BOOT0-0: OK
BOOT0-1: OK
BOOT0-2: Failed

That bites, but at least I know what the problem is.

BTW, I'm not tied to Vancouver, I could drive down to the Seattle area too if need be.  If nothing comes up this weekend, I'll start the long and tedious process of contacting Phatnoise on Monday.  Kinda miss living 50 miles from their office.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 03:02:07 am by jcapozzi »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 03:22:07 am »
... don't corrupt your ramdisk.sig that's probably your problem!

Offline jcapozzi

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 04:10:03 am »
Actually, my problem is...stupidity.

Turns out I was trying to use the old unsigned DMS from my Red player.  Doh!  Got them mixed up somehow in all the confusion of moving to Canada and unpacking, and didn't even think about it being the wrong one until just after I posted above.

Found my signed DMS from the Audi kit, it fired right up after the firmware update. I'm going to do the hack tomorrow, and plop an 80gb drive in the old DMS case.

Only problem I have now is trying to get ATT Natural Voice 1.4 to work under Vista...it installs the engine, but I can't get Mike or Crystal to install.  No big deal, I guess, but I do like using PhatVoice and the Title announce, and Mary from Vista sounds asstacular.