Author Topic: Playlist announce 2x louder than actual playback of audio?  (Read 6571 times)

Offline devooolasvegas

Playlist announce 2x louder than actual playback of audio?
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:09:13 am »
Hey Guys. Brand new to having a Phatbox.. got mine in the mail this weekend and popped it in my Jetta. Read through this forum as best I could but didn't find the answer I was looking for <or read past it by mistake>. Basically so far, I upgraded to the latest firmware <7.02 I believe> and am using the latest version of Phatnoise Media Manager. Everything is working smoothly!

However, I've noticed when I hit #2, or any of the buttons such as playlist announce, artist announce, or album announce, the girl is soooo loud compared to the current audio the phatbox was playing before. The little audio sample that is played after the announce is also very loud, id say close to 2x the overall loudness of the original mp3 playing. Is this normal?

If I don't remember to turn down my stereo before I hit one of these announce options, my ears are in for a rude awakening. I wish I could make the regular mp3's stream at this level because I really have to crank up the VW head unit <volume well over half> to get the mp3s at a decent volume. My rips are all high quality, done with EAC and newest LAME standards recommended by Hydrogen Audio etc, etc.. so I can't blame the quality of the rips.

Any insight would be great guys and I look forward to being a member of the community.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Playlist announce 2x louder than actual playback of audio?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 08:37:55 am »
Hmmm, where have I seen this before....? ;)

It is still possible the RIPs could be at fault, as the 'level' is dependent on the original source which may be lower than you expect and normalizing during the RIP process can solve this. However, this is a just a pointer and is probably not something you want to do as it modifies the original sound.

By default PMM sets the voice prompt volume to 100% which is no bad thing but you can change it.

• In PhatNoise Media Manager, go to 'Tools', 'Options'.
  • In the left side of the window that pops up choose 'Voice Prompts' under the 'General' section and the right-side will change to show you voice options.
  • Modify the 'voice volume' as required and then click on 'OK'.

Et voila. Quieter voice prompts and less of a headache for you! :)

Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline devooolasvegas

Re: Playlist announce 2x louder than actual playback of audio?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 01:36:42 pm »
Heh.. Yah, I posted on the phatnoise.org forum as well, not sure which one gets the more action or is more preferred these days  :D

Ill give that a shot tonight. I'll start at 50% and go from there. Thanks for the help.