Author Topic: Phatnoise Music Manager 2.3 hangs with new system  (Read 11193 times)

Offline kegger

• A few posts under my belt.
Phatnoise Music Manager 2.3 hangs with new system
« on: March 01, 2008, 10:22:25 pm »
Started using a completely new Core 2 Duo system with XP Pro and SP2 (X38 chipset), clean install from the ground up.  Unfortunately, PMM 2.30 hangs after decoding a CD to FLAC.    I can't end the process through task manager (application or process) and then the system hangs and freezes.  I haven't been successful using Media Manager (any version) because MM won't recognize the drive (samsung 120 gb).   No other apps have been loaded other than the OS.  Has anyone else had problems with a Core 2 Duo system with any version of Music Manager or Media Manager?  If so, did you resolve it?  How?  No problem with 2.3 on my old system (AMD).  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Phatnoise Music Manager 2.3 hangs with new system
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:32:44 am »
PMM 2.30 is very old, so chances are the code behind it is out-of-date.  It would be better to try the same process with PMM 3.92, which should be available from PhatNoise.org - when it's not being DOS attacked.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline kegger

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 05:29:50 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I'll work on your suggestion and report back.

Offline kegger

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:53:18 am »
Well, no deal.  I think the problem is something very specific to Dell, the X38, XP SP2, and the MB.  Why?   I tried 3.92 as suggested after a clean install of XP using Dell's XP cd with SP2.  The system still hung and Windows reports it as a hung app.  Also, I scrapped everything again (so tedious, no image at this point) and tried reinstalling XP SP2 from an OEM version.  No deal here either as the BSOD appears.  I really didn't want to build a machine, hence the Dell, but maybe I'm going to have to now and say hasta to the Dell.  I haven't looked yet to see what kind of issues have plagued the X38 and specific software, but this one is out of left field which really bites.  Maybe the .8 version of the new release of the non-PN MM will work??  There's always the old machine too I guess :-\ :)  This was so unexpected..............

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:34:09 am »
I think the problem is something very specific to Dell, the X38, XP SP2, and the MB.

I'm using PhatNoise Music Manager 2.30 on a Dell Optiplex 755 (Core 2 Quad 6600, Q35 chipset) without problems. However, all I use PMM for is to generate the index files after I copy media to the DMS with other tools.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 10:43:28 am »
Feel free to try version .8f of PhatHack Media Manager.  AFAIK there are no issues with it, and I spent a lot of time last week making sure the media management stuff was in better shape than it has been previously.

If you run into any problems, then please let me know and I'll sort them out as quickly as I can.  (Several people have reported issues in the past and had them turned around in a few days).
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline kegger

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 11:26:33 pm »
I'll give the .8 a try and report back.  The fact that I couldn't load an oem version of XP with SP2 on the new system tells me a lot >:( .  Vendor specific twists and turns are not always good things  ???.  However, there is the possibility that this could have happened even if I had built a new machine.  Possible, but my gut tells me otherwise.  If .8 works, then I guess the whole situation could become a moot point.  Let's see what happens after giving it a spin.  IMHO, the PB and the Keg are still the best solutions for the car for obvious reasons, even though they have been officially been end-of-lifed for a while now.

Offline kegger

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 01:02:37 am »
Update:  I was finally able to load an OEM Version of SP2 with help from Dell (hats off to their tech support) and now PMM 2.30 works as normal!!  There is obviously a difference between Dell's cd and a MS Windows OEM cd, which was just enough to through a wrench into the mix.  That's okay though, at least it's working properly now!!!  Learned more about the machine in the process, which is okay too for future reference.

Now, I will test .8 version of the non PN MM and PMM 3.92 see what happens and will report the findings in a much shorter time period - sorry for the delay on these findings.

BTW Terry, it's a Dell Precision T3400, X38 chipset, C2D E4600.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 06:24:42 am »
Hmmm that would suggest thn that your problem was a driver issue, probably the USB driver.

One worth noting for future reference.

Offline kegger

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 07:03:34 am »
As for PMM 3.92, it works with the following qualification in my scenario:  If you close it, it's still running in the background per Task Manager.  However, the process can be terminated in Task Manager, which is big step up from not being able to terminate it at all as originally posted.  I will consider this a win for the time being versus a hung app and a hung system.  Why the problem, who knows?

As for PH MM .8, I'm just starting to dig in, so it will be a little while before I draw any conclusions and report back.  I'll keep you posted.  Thumbs up to all who contribue to the success of keeping our PB/Keg moving forward :)  Keep up the phenomenal work!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:05:32 am by kegger »

Offline kegger

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 08:46:04 am »
I need to clarify my previous post.  PMM 3.92 works for all functions except for not recognizing my DMS hd as originally posted.  So, 2.30 will continue to suffice until I get done with evaluating PH MM .8.  My apologies for any confusion about 3.92 in my case.

VorTechS - yes, I agree regarding a particular driver.  As I was watching XP load (yawn) from the Dell cd, there were a few file names flashing across the bottom that I didn't recognize to the best of my recollection vs the OEM cd that I have seen load too many times.  As long as it's working now, I'm happy and don't have to think about sending the box back!

Offline kegger

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 06:36:38 am »
I'm going to place my comments about PH MM .8 in the appropriate thread.  There is nothing further to add at this time to this thread.  Thanks.