Author Topic: Kenwood Keg DMS upgrade problems  (Read 9884 times)

Offline Brian C

Kenwood Keg DMS upgrade problems
« on: March 07, 2009, 09:25:46 pm »
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. Been looking for help with the Kenwood 910 Keg and 8027 HU that I've hacked using the Phathack tools. All of which seemed to work in that the log files generated indicated they had, the wizard confirmed that and deleted the intro playlist and so on and my old original factory DMS works fine. So I make a new DMS disk, 40GB, using the tools and that all goes fine as well. I seem to have a 40Gb DMS that PMM recognises and will work with just fine. Put in the keg, red light comes on and green one flashes for a bit and the HU tries to load Track 034 then goes to eject after 10 or 20 seconds. This just repeats, cables out, HU reset no difference. Keg seems to get into a condition where the both lights remain on with the DMS out and the HU off - this only settles down with the DMS back in. Put old DMS back in and it works after a reset. Try the new one again, and it's back to the same behaviour. It's very much like this thread from a while ago, which I'm wondering did it ever get resolved? Was there a known issue with the Kenwood unit?

http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1867.0.html

The profiles folder on the PHDTA partition has lots of index files, I've tried repairing the DMS, all the tick boxes were correctly checked or unchecked as appropriate. The new disc in the DMS passes all diagnostics, chkdsk etc., I've tried everything I can think of and pretty much all the relevant things I can find on the forum.

Anyone got any advice because I'm rapidly going grey over this  ;D

Brian.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Kenwood Keg DMS upgrade problems
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:18:37 am »
I'm not sure what the problem could be here.  Do you know what track 34 is, could it be a badly coded file that the box doesn't recognise and for some reason isn't skipping?

When you created the new DMS, what options did you select.
What firmware is on the working DMS, and did you select this version for the new DMS?

Try downloading the RC pairs, copy the Level 10 files over the existing files on PHTSYS, on the DMS that fails to work.

Boot the box up until it fails ONCE.  Then, you should see a file, I think it's 'logfile.txt' on PHTSYS that has lots of '---->' and '<-----' entries in it.
Post it up, and someone can take a look through to see if we can identify what's wrong.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Brian C

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:47:39 pm »
Thanks for that, I'll give it a try and report back. The new DMS was created using the 13.01 firmware which is what is on the original, the options I selected when creating it were instal VOIT and AAC plugin only. It behaves like a DMS as far as the PMM is concerned it just manages to put the box into a state where it doesn't even recognise there's a box there.

I'll get back when I've tried it.

Thanks again,

Brian.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:02:11 pm by Brian C »

Offline snow_dog

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 03:59:47 pm »
Dont know if it will help, but i had a similar issue with mine. to fix i went to http://downloads.phathack.com/firmware/, downloaded the 4 zip files next to kenwood, extracted to the sys drive, and bingo. may be worth a shot.
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road | Kenwood KDC-X990 | Kenwood KHD-C710 original 10gig DMS

Offline Brian C

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 07:18:02 pm »
Hi,

thanks for the additional advice. I've only just got back on to this today and after fiddling with the 'new' DMS and it behaving in peculiar ways both on the box and the PC I've concluded for the moment that there is an issue with the drive electronics even though it appears to work ok in a USB housing when connected to the PC.

So, I fitted a new 100Gb drive to the DMS and set that up with the Phathack DMS tools, put a few tracks on and put it in the box and hey presto I've got a working 100Gb DMS. I'm currently as I type loading that up with my collection.

I'm going to have another go at the other disc and see if I can determine if it is a total non starter and I'll get back with anything I find but I'm inclined to think there's a hardware issue at the moment.

Thanks for all the help and advice so far, I'll be back when I've had another go.

Brian.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:19:56 pm by Brian C »

Offline Brian C

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:26:25 am »
Hello,

just to close this one out, it appears I was flogging the proverbial dead horse or at a least a dying one - I've pretty much confirmed the problem was down to the drive being on the way out as it has now become little more than an ornament after trying to re-format it and so on - it is dead.

Anyway, thanks to those that offered advice and a big thanks to those that have spent their time to offer these free tools to get around the problem with a product that is no longer supported by the manufacturer and even when it was the cost of an upgraded DMS would be prohibitive. After a few hours spent copying and renaming playlists etc. I now have a working 100 Gb DMS that cost me no more than the price of a disc.

Since I've got a little bit of the bug with upgrading/updating this bit of kit which I really like, has there been any work done on improving the text to speech on the voice prompts?

Brian.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 07:49:35 am »
There was at some point a dictionary introduced I believe, and as the TTS engine is SAPI 5 you should be able to use the SAPI XML tags so you should have full control over the TTS announcements.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Brian C

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 04:14:59 pm »
Thanks, I should have used the search function before asking as I can see there's a fair bit of material on here about it already ;D

Brian.