Author Topic: Monsoon to Kenwood HU  (Read 7055 times)

Offline PhatAl

• A few posts under my belt.
Monsoon to Kenwood HU
« on: November 06, 2005, 12:53:33 pm »
My first post here. My apologies if these questions have been asked many times. But searching the forum hasn't given me a firm answer for what I need to know.

I have a VW Phatbox (000 057 11) installed with Monsoon HU. The rest of my system has been upgraded and should sound pretty decent if it weren't for the HU. There is too much background hiss for my liking and I assume it is from the HU.

So I want to install a new HU while keeping my VW Phatbox.

Obviously I need to flash the unit for Kenwood and a different cable.  I just don't know which for either.

I have no problem making a cable, but don't know where to start. I don't have a new Kenwood HU yet but assume any of them will work as long as they accept CD changers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline PhatAl

Re: Monsoon to Kenwood HU
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 04:01:44 pm »
I have continued to do more research and am at this point:

1.  buy a Kenwood cable:   KHD-5L1 (seems a tad pricey!)

2.  buy one of these 3M 90 degree plugs (which would help for my Passat): http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/electronics_mfg/interconnects/node_VB0FQJBCWMgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_29N82ZFX8Pge/bgel_FQJWK88MD7bl/gvel_C55NS9VXRCgl/theme_us_interconnect_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

3.  attach the new end for the Phatbox per this diagram: http://www.phathack.com/Kenwood/Phatbox%20-%20Kenwood.png

4.  Upgrade firmware either via the PNMM software or download and install from here:  http://downloads.phathack.com/firmware/

5. Install new Kenwood HU and modded cable and attach to Phatbox

6.  Pray it works!

Offline image2000uk

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 07:38:08 pm »
Thats basically all there is to it.  Best doing the update through Pnmm though, as you're guaranteed to get the right one then.

It's what I did to mine but I bought the kenwood cable.  Cost me £50 though.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 11:52:32 pm by admin »

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 04:56:40 am »
2.  buy one of these 3M 90 degree plugs (which would help for my Passat): http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/electronics_mfg/interconnects/node_VB0FQJBCWMgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_29N82ZFX8Pge/bgel_FQJWK88MD7bl/gvel_C55NS9VXRCgl/theme_us_interconnect_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

That cable won't do quite what you want. Pin 1 on the phatbox is audio, while on that 3M cable it is one of the shield wires. You'll probably have to buy the bare connector and solder to its pins.

Offline PhatAl

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 12:37:24 pm »
I was attempting to show the link just for the connector, not a cable.

Or do you mean that the Kenwood cable won't work?

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 07:32:31 pm »
I was attempting to show the link just for the connector, not a cable.

Or do you mean that the Kenwood cable won't work?

The Kenwood cable should work. The connector part you want is this one.

Offline PhatAl

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 09:05:10 pm »
That's awesome. Thanks for the link.

Hey... since I'm gonna solder a connector at one end, I don't really mind trying it for the other end.

Is there somewhere I can just get the Kenwood connector? That price for that cable is a lot and I think they aren't widely available.

Offline LloydDobler

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 07:51:36 am »
If you want to ensure the integrity of your sound quality, you're going to need shielded cable with 13 conductors, and that kind of cable is pretty much only available in bulk, like 50 foot lengths, and it's also over a buck a foot.  Patching $3 ends together will still cost you well over $25 no matter what you do.

If you're too cheap to front $50 for the cable, your next least expensive option is to cut one end off a standard kenwood cd changer cable, like this one.  

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ln7Lcp7jpEd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=kenwood+cd+changer&i=469KNWDIN

Offline PhatAl

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 01:03:33 pm »
If you want to ensure the integrity of your sound quality, you're going to need shielded cable with 13 conductors, and that kind of cable is pretty much only available in bulk, like 50 foot lengths, and it's also over a buck a foot.  Patching $3 ends together will still cost you well over $25 no matter what you do.

If you're too cheap to front $50 for the cable, your next least expensive option is to cut one end off a standard kenwood cd changer cable, like this one.  

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ln7Lcp7jpEd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=kenwood+cd+changer&i=469KNWDIN

It's not that I'm "cheap"... but running the Kenwood cable back under the carpet and to the trunk in my Passat is a major pain.

How about another option: Is there someway to build an adapter cable... like a foot long or so.. with a male end that connects to the VW cable and the male end that plugs into a Kenwood HU? I guess I can start with the Kenwood cable above from Crutchfield and just cut off what I don't need. Does anyone even make a plug that I could connect to the HU end of the VW cable?

Offline LloydDobler

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 05:24:10 pm »
Is there someway to build an adapter cable... like a foot long or so.. with a male end that connects to the VW cable and the male end that plugs into a Kenwood HU? I guess I can start with the Kenwood cable above from Crutchfield and just cut off what I don't need. Does anyone even make a plug that I could connect to the HU end of the VW cable?

No, the VW cable and connection is entirely different than the Kenwood.  The Kenwood actually uses 12 of the 13 conductors in the cable.  There are only 8 or 9 conductors in the VW cable, and they go to different pins in the phatbox connector.  It's an entirely different protocol.  

You have to make a kenwood cable from front to back.  On mine, I sliced the black backshell off the VW cable, cut away the wax and removed all wires from the connector.  That's how you have to do it.  Otherwise just buy the Kenwood cable.  And you're stuck running the wire under the carpet.  No alternative, sorry.

Offline PhatAl

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 02:09:16 am »
Yeah, I think trying to "hack" the cable isn't worth it. Especially since you have explained it so clearly.

I'll just buy the Kenwood cable if and when I decide to upgrade my hu.

I have been tweaking my EQ and think that for now I'm just going to keep the Monsoon HU.

That is, unless someone can convince me that the Kenwood will really sound that much better. (Keep in mind I am using external amps so power isn't an issue.)

Thanks for the replies.

Offline LloydDobler

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 11:50:04 pm »
I've yet to hear a factory head unit that holds a candle to the aftermarket stereo setups I've had.  The tweakability alone is enough I think to be able to tune it to sound better, even if the overall product quality wasn't that much better.

But that's all personal opinion, I've gotten into several internet debates with dudes who claim their factory system would kick my aftermarket system's ass, and since we're in different cities and I wouldn't agree to meet with a nutjob like that anyway, I'm never going to prove it.  Your mileage may vary.  I ride in enough newer cars to form the opinion that they really cheap out even on their premium stereos.

I'd suggest you buy from someone with a satisfaction guarantee like crutchfield.  If you buy a head unit and don't think it sounds better, they'll probably take it back.