Author Topic: problem with DMS after firmware upgrade  (Read 4436 times)

Offline psyct1

• PhatHacker
problem with DMS after firmware upgrade
« on: January 09, 2007, 01:36:23 pm »
i've searched this forum for the better part of last night and this morning and have found nothing (only because it seemed people with similar problems were ones doing the hack)

I have an Audi/VW Phatbox in my 2000 Audi S4 Bose Symphony Stereo
ok, my original problem was with the voice prompts not changing from the super gay microsoft sam voice...

so i posted on a different forum, someone guided me here...  i did a search and stumbled across the download page here (http://downloads.phathack.com/), i downloaded the latest Audi/VW firmware, and extracted each of the four downloaded files to the PHTSYS partition on the DMS...  everything seemed fine in the PMM, as i was able to load music and everything without issues.

i then inserted the DMS into the car, it said "CD LOAD" then just kicked me right back into the FM input on the stereo...  so i removed the DMS from the car and put it back into the cradle still recognized, all was well, put it back into the car and nothing...  then this morning, i went into the car and it would now stay in the "CDC" selection, and after pressing the "6" button multiple times, i was able to access the features menu...  I then selected the Radio type to be "E" as i thought that is what someone else in their Audi had...  Now I find out that it should have been "N" (i think anyway).  but i cannot access the FEATURES menu anymore, even after removing the Cable from the back of the Phatbox...

Please Help!!!

Offline psyct1

• PhatHacker
Re: problem with DMS after firmware upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 04:58:21 pm »
i searched a little more through here and i have a question that maybe someone can answer besides the one above...

i just browsed the the phatbox owner's manual and didn't find anything on formatting the drive...

i have the standard 20gig DMS that comes with phatbox...  is it safe to say if i erase ALL FILES from the PHTSYS partition and just load the 4 files from the above posted link, and then run PMM and get all my playlists back on it, that all will be fine?

i'm searching now for the proper way to format the DMS totally, or am i wasting my time because this is only if you are using a "hacked" DMS???

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 06:46:55 pm »
Not sure how you came to the conclusion to download the firmware files, but if you extracted those files to your DMS, the DMS is set to reprogram your Phatbox with the new firmware.  That process takes 5-10 minutes to finish.  It seems that you did not wait long enough.  I hope you did not do any damage by pulling the DMS out (apparently several times) and pressing buttons before the firmware update finished.

Verify that all the firmware files are still on the DMS, including "forceupdate" or extract them again to be sure.  Then take the DMS back to your car and follow the procedure on page 46 of the Phatbox User Manual to do a complete firmware update.  After that completes, it should work as normal.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline psyct1

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 06:52:57 pm »
Not sure how you came to the conclusion to download the firmware files, but if you extracted those files to your DMS, the DMS is set to reprogram your Phatbox with the new firmware.  That process takes 5-10 minutes to finish.  It seems that you did not wait long enough.  I hope you did not do any damage by pulling the DMS out (apparently several times) and pressing buttons before the firmware update finished.

Verify that all the firmware files are still on the DMS, including "forceupdate" or extract them again to be sure.  Then take the DMS back to your car and follow the procedure on page 46 of the Phatbox User Manual to do a complete firmware update.  After that completes, it should work as normal.
i hope i didn't do any damage either...  but to your comment on downloading the firmware, i only had firmware version 5.02 on the DMS (at least thats what it said in the Options/DMS menu in PMM) and i did exactly what it said to do on this page (http://downloads.phathack.com/firmware/) this is what it said to do

quoted from http://downloads.phathack.com/firmware/
PhatBox Firmware Upgrade

To upgrade your firmware, download ALL files for your head unit brand, and unzip them into the PHTSYS partiton.
It should go without saying that this is not the supported way to upgrade your PhatBox. If you have problems downloading and unzipping files, please use the supported PhatNoise Music Manager in Windows to upgrade your firmware.

i wasn't aware it had to reprogram the box itself until this morning (keeping fingers crossed all is well after i redownload the firmware and do it correctly)

EDIT:  one other thing, after selecting the phatbox as an input, it will say "CD LOAD" then say "CD ERR" then go straight to "CD1 TR01" and stay there with no sound, but at least it doesn't kick me out of the phatbox input anymore, i say a ray of light shining through the clouds...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 06:59:05 pm by psyct1 »

Offline psyct1

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 03:10:56 am »
i fixed the problem, everything is fine...

what i did was did the "Clean DMS" via PMM...

then I deleted all the files in the PHTSYS partition then extracted the ORIGINAL firmware that came with the DMS VW/AUDI 5.02...

ejected the DMS with 0 playlist except standard welcome message, allowed DMS to reprogram phatbox, it worked fine, then i deleted all files on PHTSYS partition again and extracted the latest firmware to it, again allowed DMS to reprogram phatbox, and all was well!!!

thanks for the info, i ended up figuring it out with the help of archived DMS issues...