Author Topic: Phatnoise Media Manager very slow with 40GB  (Read 7273 times)

Offline spenca

Phatnoise Media Manager very slow with 40GB
« on: May 29, 2007, 11:17:19 am »
hi all!

does anyone know what to do with pmm with very, very slow sync? it takes me about 60 minutes to sync and eject the media box with 40 GB of music. i have just 9 playlists defined. is there a way to optimize?

thx for all reply!

/mario

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Phatnoise Media Manager very slow with 40GB
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 07:05:51 pm »
Buy a USB 2.0 cradle?

PhatNoise Music Manager is slow also generally slower than PhatNoise Media manager, don't know which you have...

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 02:05:32 pm »
Buy a USB 2.0 cradle?  PhatNoise Music Manager is slow also generally slower than PhatNoise Media manager, don't know which you have...

Judging by the topic, I would guess he is using Media Manager...

However, I have a 2.0 cradle and I find Media Manager is MUCH slower than Music Manager.  Media Manager takes 30-45 minutes to save and eject, no matter what I have done, whereas Music Manager would take just a few minutes.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline spenca

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 09:10:30 am »
Judging by the topic, I would guess he is using Media Manager...

However, I have a 2.0 cradle and I find Media Manager is MUCH slower than Music Manager.  Media Manager takes 30-45 minutes to save and eject, no matter what I have done, whereas Music Manager would take just a few minutes.

exactly! i search for a reason for this! i disabled the sync of almost all of my files and sync only 5 - 10 books. it also takes such a long time, which i don't understand!  ???

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 10:39:39 am »
I'm guessing this problem gets worse with the more songs/albums/playlists that people have in the database rather than the number of sync checks actuallly needed.  I have 300 playlists, over 300 albums, around 4700 tracks - PC to DMS sync with Phatnoise Media Manager generally takes me about 5 minutes if there's only one or two albums being copied across. 

Spenca - how many songs etc?  I saw you have only 9 playlists - do they each have very many songs/tracks in?

Les.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 10:44:46 am by S80_UK »

Offline spenca

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 06:44:49 pm »
I'm guessing this problem gets worse with the more songs/albums/playlists that people have in the database rather than the number of sync checks actuallly needed.  I have 300 playlists, over 300 albums, around 4700 tracks - PC to DMS sync with Phatnoise Media Manager generally takes me about 5 minutes if there's only one or two albums being copied across. 

Spenca - how many songs etc?  I saw you have only 9 playlists - do they each have very many songs/tracks in?

Les.

hi!

thx for your answer! i have about 40G of mp3s sorted in these 9 playlists. do you think too much? you have 300 playlists with 300 albums, sounds better! what do you think?

/spenca

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 10:53:33 pm »
Wow - they must be pretty long lists - that would be about 4.5 gigs of MP3's per list - that could be many hundreds of files in each playlist.  Well, there's only one way for you to find out if reducing that number would make a difference... 

Create some additional playlists and drag the files from your existing lists into them.  You will then need to delete the files from the previous list (only delete the entry - do not delete the file from the hard disk).  Since you only have 9 lists currently, try creating an additional 27 lists (just give them temporary names for now) and then put one quarter of the files from each of your current lists into the new ones.  And then try another sync.  Since the MP3 data is already on the DMS the tame taken should only relate to the database changes.  If the sync time scales badly with the length of the lists you should see some improvement.  If so, then you can extend the principle further to create some more playlists.  If it makes absolutely no difference, it's easy enough to drag the files back again and delete the temporary lists.

Just one thought - you mentioned books - how many files in each of them?  Some audio books use many CD tracks per chapter.  I have often found it better to combine these into a single file per chapter just to reduce the number of files.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 10:56:15 pm by S80_UK »