Author Topic: CAS Speech Support (speech.msi)  (Read 7299 times)

Offline youneeq

• PhatHacker
CAS Speech Support (speech.msi)
« on: January 25, 2007, 06:39:42 pm »
Newbie to the whole Phatbox stuff.  I tried downloading this from PN's website and it takes me to a "Page cannot be found" link.  Could someone send this to me or make it avaialble to d/l from phathack.com?  I also noticed their knowledge base is all messed up.  I try calling their customer service line and it just has a recording but you can't get to a live person.  I also tried e-mailing them.  No response yet.  What kind of place are they running over there!  Are they going to fold soon or what?

Btw, it's great how everyone has come together to make this website and forums what it is.  I really appreciate the effort everyone has put into it.  It makes the company that is supposed to be the main point of support pale in comparison to the content available on here.  Two thumbs up!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 06:40:07 pm by youneeq »

Offline youneeq

• PhatHacker
Re: CAS Speech Support (speech.msi)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 08:39:31 pm »
Alright, I got a hold of someone on the phone from Phatnoise and they e-mailed it to me.  I'm good.  I installed it and still have the problem I was hoping it would solve.  I'll keep searching in the forums but maybe someone knows how to get rid of the error message of "The voice prompt system is not installed. To purchase or learn more about the voice prompt system, go to..."

Thx

Offline youneeq

• PhatHacker
Solution: The voice prompt system is not...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 12:29:40 am »
I figured out my fix for when I would startup PMM and get the error message "The voice prompt system is not installed."  I did not have the TTS (Text-to-Speech) engine aka SAPI5 installed on my WinXP computer. (Original error posted here.)  Signs of this would be the error msg above and the "Speech" icon missing in Windows Control Panel.

I fixed it by loading a WinXP CD, going to Start|Run... and typing this: EXPAND D:\i386\sapi5.in_ C:\Windows\Inf\sapi5.inf.  Then right-click sapi5.inf in C:\Windows\Inf\ folder and it might prompt for the path to the sapi.dll file.  Point it to the CD drive D:\i386 folder, click OK and Windows installs the TTS engine.

Then I checked the Control Panel and there was the Speech icon.  I opened it up, clicked on the "Text To Speech" tab, made sure under "Voice selection" that one of the two AT&T DTNV voices was selected and clicked OK.  Then I went into PMM and no more voice prompt error msg!

Speaking of the AT&T Natural Voices 1.2...  I assumed that the Media Manager install on Phatnoise's site was all I needed and since it was a newer verison than what was on my CD, I just installed the new one not knowing that this it's a 30-Day trial edition which doesn't come with the AT&T Natural Voices.  First, you have to install the PMM off you original CD which also installs the Natural Voices, then install the trial one to upgrade to the newer version.  Then you avoid it prompting you to buy it everytime you start PMM.

Man, what a pain.  At least everything is working now.

youneeq
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:38:15 pm by youneeq »

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 04:25:21 am »
Do you have the original install CD that came with your Phatbox?
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 08:35:05 am »
I merged these so people who see one and not the other won't still try to help you ;)