Author Topic: Wonder if a Phatbox is for me?  (Read 5403 times)

Offline shughes

Wonder if a Phatbox is for me?
« on: February 14, 2007, 02:42:23 am »
A co-worker had one in his Lexus with a 60 Gig or so drive.  I would like a similar setup but I have 4 vehicles.  I currently move a Sirius unit back and forth using the FM Modulator.  I'm willing to buy a new head unit for each car, but would like to move the music between and think maybe a PB might be the route.  I'm fairly technically competent, but is this doable without spending tons of hours and money on this project?

Offline LloydDobler

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: Wonder if a Phatbox is for me?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 06:20:42 am »
Depends on what you mean by 'tons'.  I have one cartridge that I switch between two cars, which required a phatbox compatible stereo in each car, and an extra phatbox.  I picked up the extra phatbox off Ebay for $30 with no cable, cartridge, or anything.  Then I bought a $30 cable, a $7 connector, and I soldered it up.  So for $67 extra I got a phatbox in both cars, and I'd really like it if both my cars had their own cartridge, because it's annoying to take it from one car to the other.

So if you can afford 4 cars, you can probably afford it by shopping around, and you'll be able to get into it for maybe $300 per car (if the head units in each car aren't already compatible with a phatbox).  If you can't afford that, you probably should sell one of your cars.  :D

Offline shughes

Re: Wonder if a Phatbox is for me?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 02:40:34 pm »
That sounds doable.  I just didn't want to get into $800 per car.  $1200 is a number I can live with.