Author Topic: Audi Phatbox to What?  (Read 6895 times)

Offline Seaco

• PhatHacker
Audi Phatbox to What?
« on: February 19, 2007, 12:09:13 am »
Hi All

I have just removed my Phatbox from my 2005 Audi A3 I'm selling the car, it worked fine but I don't like the talking part of my Phatbox much I think I would rather see the artists, albums etc. on the screen of the stereo, so here's my question does anyone know what make and models of head unit work with my Phatbox i.e. show the info?

Or is there any way that I can make the voices more understandable, as you can probably gather I'm quite new to this...

Thanks to anyone who answers in advance... ::)

Lee

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Audi Phatbox to What?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 08:58:35 pm »
If you want to see the artist-album-track info, the only way to go is Kenwood.  Your Audi PB is easily changed to a Kenwood Keg with a firmware flash, and you'll need the right cable to go from the PB to the head unit.  That is part number KHD-5L1, found for around $50.

You also have the option of using the voices in the Kenwood.  You should have the AT&T voices that came with your Audi box, which are as clear as you're likely to find.  It may be that your setup defaulted to use the Microsoft Sam voice instead, which is less understandable than the AT&T voices.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Seaco

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 10:01:08 pm »
Mark

Thankyou for all the info it looks like Kenwood's the way to go then, will most of their head units work there seems so many of them?

Thanks again

Lee

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:12:25 pm »
Pretty much any of the current crop of Kenwoods should work.  I think the official requirement was any Kenwood from 1999 on that has an external CD changer control and CD text capabilities.  If your local dealer is up on his/her Kenwoods, he/she should be able to tell you for sure.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Seaco

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 08:03:14 pm »
Thankyou for your help... much appreciated.... ;)

Offline SteveC

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 04:28:28 am »
I can confirm that the Phatbox works with the latest models, having just installed an eXcelon 791. Any model of Kenwood headunit produced in at least that past 5 years which has a CD-changer port will work. This is based on direct experience with 5 different headunits produced during that time frame, from a KDC-X815 to the KDC-X791 I just installed today.