Author Topic: With ALL of you computer techies around, why......  (Read 5561 times)

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
With ALL of you computer techies around, why......
« on: June 04, 2005, 03:25:35 pm »
couldn't or how hard would it be to design and engineer a Hard drive based mp3 player like the Phatbox?

I mean a lot of you really seem to know what your doing and have invested some time into hacking the Phatbox. Maybe you could design an open mp3 player and approach a company to buid it.

I know there's more to it than that but hey, you never know!
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline Genesis

• Getting the hang of things.
  • Bite Me
Re: With ALL of you computer techies around, why..
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 03:44:31 pm »
Trivial for the MP3 part.  An embedded Linux or FreeBSD system that runs on a "microsystem" and boots from flash is extremely simple to construct from off-the-shelf components, and the basic codebase is open.

The hard part is the interface to the changer system, along with the level matching (e.g. the audio side) required to get things to work "right".  The latter has to come online almost instantly when "turn on" is called for, otherwise the head unit will declare the changer "broken" and refuse to talk to it thereafter.  You don't want the entire system powered up all the time due to battery drain issues, so you need a two-CPU-style design, where the interface chip runs from an on-firmware codebase and thus can be available immediately when turned on.

How much of this can be done without running into an existing patent (that is, designing AROUND any existing patents) is another question.  Irrelavent for personal use, but if you're going to MAKE these, its very relavent.

BTW the latter piece HAS BEEN available for some head units.  There is/was the "VWCDPIC" out there for VW units, which is a tiny microcontroller that talks VW's head unit protocol, has two RCA jacks on it for audio in, and passes the protocol out via a serial interface (!) so you have bidirectional control (you can set disk and track numbers, etc.)  My understanding is that VW got pizzy with them about their reverse-engineering and this nice "postage-stamp" size thing may no longer be available (I have one though!)  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 03:47:11 pm by Genesis »

Offline az1324

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 09:41:08 pm »
I think it was Blitzsafe that was not happy about the VWCDpic because they claim to have a patent that covers ALL cd changer emulators...a patent which has been pending for quite some time.  Anyway, the guy who was selling them didn't want to risk litigation.  

But there IS the yampp project which has some builds that do cd changer emulation and you can build it yourself.  Check it out.

Offline Genesis

• Bite Me
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 11:13:18 pm »
Well, whoever it is, I know the VWCDPIC folks went "bye-bye", but not before I got one :)

Its really not that difficult to do; the problem is coming up with something you can SELL.  Snooping the protocol with a logic analyzer is pretty easy.