Author Topic: INFO: Availablity of PMM and the servers that support it  (Read 55755 times)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
INFO: Availablity of PMM and the servers that support it
« on: March 02, 2007, 02:53:06 pm »
There have, of late, been a lot of posts / threads where people are having issues downloading versions of PMM (old versions haven't been available in a long time now, just 3.92).  Even the latest version has been unavailable for a while now. 

There have also been reports of issues with registration (we have a quick registry work around for that)
and activation (we don't have a solution for that).

The best thing I can say is everyone try and contact phatnoise via email and by phone if possible.  Also look at the Harmon Kardon parent site and find a contact there and bitch about customer service to them.

One other option is to contribute to the PMM replacement tools that are being developed by some of the users of these forums.  If we can get to where we operate these boxes with no phatnoise software other than the OS on the DMS then we'll be in good shape and not have to worry about all this crap anymore.

I highly doubt that phatnoise would allow us to have a mirror / alternate download location for their copyrighted software but if someone gets permission from them to host it on non-sucktastic servers that are admined by caring competent individuals then I am sure Sam and I can figure something out :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 02:55:38 pm by judb »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: INFO: Availablity of PMM and the servers that support it
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 03:51:43 pm »
Activation (we don't have a solution for that).

How about the registry again?
I see two reg keys:

Music Manager:

HKey_Local_Machine\Software\PhatNoise\PhatMan\RegistrationCode
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\PhatNoise\PhatMan\RegStatus - set this to 2 to get rid of the name registration

Media Manager:

HKey_Local_Machine\Software\PhatNoise\PMM\RegCode
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\PhatNoise\PMM\RegStatus - set this to 2 to get rid of the name registration

...all we need to do is work out how the registration code is converted to it's string representation and we could write a utility to register the application that way....?

I've checked that by clearing the value and re-entering it, that the software functions as it should after.

*EDIT*

Just did a bit more checking.  Looks like PMM 3.92 is looking at the PhatMan registration code to determine if the install is trial or standard version.
I don't have my reg. key handy to try and work out if there is any correlation between the string and the actual code.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 04:12:43 pm by VorTechS »
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 04:58:30 pm »
Yeah I linked to a thread that says how to just add the RegStatus key and that fixes the registration portion where it nags you to register or whatever, the issue is activation for the enhanced features that we don't have a solution for I believe and I don't know if we figure it out if we should post it since those features are features you have to pay for.

When you activate PMM's enahnced feature set it requires you to insert a key into the app which is then checked against a phatnoise web service which is either down, or borked so that some folks keys don't work anymore.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 09:24:08 pm »
No I agree, I wasn't recommending we 'crack' the system for the gain of others.  But determine the algortihm based on a supplied number of keys [give privately] and come up with an application to act as the registration process in the interim - requiring the user to enter their valid registration details.

If you imply that accessing the extra features requires a web service then we of course are stuck.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 04:10:07 pm »
it only requires it once during activation when you put in the key, it check the phatnoise servers to make sure the code you gave matches as I understand it.  I haven't debugged the app or done a network trace to see if it would be easy to bypass or anything.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 12:19:10 am »
well now that i've reinstalled windows and want to get PMM activated so that I can use the AAC features their servers are down or something because it isn't working.  crap.

Offline jheyerman

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 08:58:49 pm »
Just a note that today (June 4, 2007), I did successfully download both media manager 3.92 and music manager 2.30 from Phatnoise thru the "e-mail you a link" method.   :D :D :D   I have not installed it yet, though. 

Cheers.
Jeff

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 01:17:41 pm »
yeah I got an email last night from them with a code to activate PMM since the old code didn't work anymore.  they responded pretty fast to the last email. (i sent it to a harmon.com address.. as apparently they have a mail routing loop for mail sent to phatnoise.com right now)

Offline jheyerman

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 06:32:11 pm »
Do I need to register or activate the PMM 3.92 software?  After reading a few posts, I am confused about this.  I installed the software from the supplied CD (PMM 1.87) and then 2.30 went in as an update, and 3.92 went in as a seperate install.  I entered my name, e-mail, and where I bought my PB on first start-up. 

Thanks.
Jeff

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 09:19:39 pm »
registration allows you to run the product.. activation is for when you upgrade to PMM Plus (only for features of the 3.x software releases like AAC support for instance and some additional CD ripping / burning stuff)

Offline jmpage2

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 09:52:16 pm »
Is download/registration still working?

I no longer have my PMM CD, just an old copy of Phatnoise Media Manager and some instructions for it (along with a license key) that I got from Mike Woo years ago.

I will be really glad when we have a 3rd party tool to load/manage the DMS.... dealing with Phatnoise and their basic total lack of support is getting old.

Oh ya, I'm running Vista (new PC, shame on me) does a particular version work better/worse than others?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 03:11:35 am »
just email phatnoise@harmon.com 

they've been pretty responsive so far.

Offline jmpage2

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 06:05:02 am »
Done, hopefully they respond soon... thanks!

Offline jmpage2

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 06:06:20 am »
Actually it looks like email to that address is bouncing back to me, is there an alternative one available?

<phatnoise@harmon.com>
   Permanent Failure: 550_#5.1.0_Address_rejected_phatnoise@harmon.com
   Delivery last attempted at Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:04:52 -0000

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 01:29:27 pm »
well that was the email address that they are sending me messages from and I've replied to a few times.. I guess they have some real SMTP problems there. geez.

Dunno what else to tell you man.  Call em

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 07:59:43 am »
If the PhatNoise website is generally available then here are the permanent links to all the relevant files:

PhatNoise MEDIA Manager v3.92

http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/PMM_3.92_WWW.exe

PhatNoise MUSIC Manager v2.30

http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/PMM_2.30_PHATNOISE_WWW.exe

USB Cradle Drivers

To determine if you have an ISD, ScanLogic or USB 2.0-SMSC cradle, check the bottom of the USB cradle.

- You have an ISD cradle if the label reads: 'DMS-USB1 rA' or 'KHD-USB1'
- You have a ScanLogic cradle if the label reads: "DMS-500-USB1" or there is no label
- You have an SMSC USB 2.0 Cradle if the label reads: "DMS USB2 rev -"

ISD Cradle Drivers: http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/ISD_setup_5_04.exe
Scanlogic Drivers: http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/ScanLogic_setup.exe
SMSC Drivers: http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/2.0_drivers.exe

You should only install the drivers if your operating system does not automatically install drivers for you.

PhatNoise CAS Speech Support

http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/speech.msi

Offline jmpage2

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 02:46:11 pm »
Thanks Vort!

How's the "free us from Phatnoise" effort going?

:o

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 10:45:33 am »
To answer this un-answered question, it's been going well - I've setup an official site for the software now: http://www.phathackmm.com

For anyone still reading this topic to find out what's going on with PhatNoise application/driver downloads then head over to:  http://www.phatnoise.org

Offline DOUGDANGER

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 06:51:21 am »
We sincerely apologize for the problem you encountered. We are experiencing technical difficulties that are causing problems with the PMM Plus Activation server.

Please go to ftp://phatnoise.harman.com/

Login with this information:
Username: <removed>
Password: <removed>

Download the file named PMM_3.92_FULL.exe and install it OVER your current installation. (You can right click the file, click Copy, then go to your desktop, right-click and click Paste.) Double click the file to install the full latest version. You should no longer need an activation code. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

For Internet Explorer 7 (IE7), in the tool bar, click "Page" then "Open ftp.phatnoise.harman.com". You will be prompted to enter your username and password again. You should then be able to view and download the files.

Best regards,

PhatNoise Customer Support

EDIT: please don't post this here, harmon has not released this to the public.  Feel free to request login details from harmon, but until it is public or harmon gives us permission this cannot be distributed here. Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:24:36 am by sbingner »

Offline BioBob

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 07:40:56 am »
Phatnoise Music Manager link is dead.

http://downloads.chaos-project.com/heretic86/PMM_2.30_NoRegister.exe
(Temporary Link, I will take this file down as soon as soon as VorTechS confirms he has a copy available for download)

A while ago, I contacted Phatnoise when they were still in business in regards to troubles with getting PMM to accept my registration keys, which were still active but their servers had issues.  They sent me a link to an Official Build that did NOT require Registration.  I put the file up temporarily for download and asked VorTechS to grab a copy of this version so it isnt lost to the digital ether.  This should be the same file as the dead link above.