Author Topic: New (2007) Pioneer head units and iPods  (Read 6426 times)

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
New (2007) Pioneer head units and iPods
« on: March 05, 2007, 11:36:36 pm »
For those who are interested, Pioneer head units have taken a big leap forward in their iPod control ability.  Pioneer has changed their bus cable (back now almost to the shape of the old one - a square with one rounded corner) - and power can now be delivered through this cable.  This means that the new iPod adapter is simply a bus cable, no more "control box" that needs to be connected to a power source.  This also drastically reduces the response time for browsing iPod content.  Making the list of some 500 artists and scrolling through it caused no lag whatsoever in my tests.  This goes a long way towards making an iPod & Pioneer stereo a legit replacement for my Keg.  (Still no voice though.)

These new decks are the x900 series (4900 is good, 5900 is better).

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
Re: New (2007) Pioneer head units and iPods
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 12:24:37 pm »
To update a bit -

The 5900 is indeed better.  It addition to a better display, it has (basically) scroll wheel-like functionality where most of the operation is done by turning and pressing a large center scroll wheel (similar to the MP6800 - if you're familiar with that one). 

Both the 5900 and 4900 have multiple connection options though - the regular IP-Bus connector, the new iPod-bus connector, and a 1/8" aux in port on the back.  I have my iPod, my Sat Radio, and a laptop all connected to the headunit without a big mess of wires and boxes everywhere - it's quite nice.

Offline jg123

• I love my Keg!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 01:51:38 am »
A review on the CircuitCity website mentioned a hiss from the receiver. Have you experienced this?

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 02:06:11 am »
No hiss for me - but I've got two amps running, so whether or not I have hiss doesn't matter anyway.

(Nothing like answering a question 7 months after it was asked!)