Author Topic: Strange things goin' on...  (Read 11241 times)

Offline para

• Veteran.
Strange things goin' on...
« on: June 06, 2005, 07:16:52 pm »
I just noticed that unix.phatnoise.com is redirected to www.phatnoise.com! WTF? Maybe they try not get plsign "proliferated" any longer ???

Trying to ask what happended I wanted to get to the forum - it's offline!

Hm...

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Strange things goin' on...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 07:19:05 pm »
nevermind this post.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 07:20:52 pm by judb »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 07:20:02 pm »
Oh and I have plsign if anyone needs it.  Does anyone have a full mirror of everything that was on the unix.phatnoise.com site?  I'll host it if we need to.

Did anyone grab a full copy of all the files we could on sixpack.org?  we should get on that too...

Offline para

• Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 07:51:33 pm »
I got all what's been there, but caution: Vince's scripts are intentionally non-copyrighted but plsign IS NOT distributable! Hosting it will bring you into deep trouble...

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 08:06:56 pm »
Oh yeah I forgot that part.  oops.. good thing I am not hosting it. :)  

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 04:15:14 pm »
http://unix.phatnoise.com/bootdisk.php works again.. but the main unix.phatnoise.com redirects to www.phatnoise.com still.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 04:20:52 pm »
Found the EULA for plsign on google..
Code: [Select]
download playlist generation tools

read the following. if you agree, fill in the form, and click on the "I Accept" button.

Software End User License Agreement

For

PhatBox Linux Interface

This Software End User License Agreement ("Agreement") is between you (both the individual installing the Program and any single legal entity on behalf of which such individual is acting) ("You" or "Your") and PhatNoise, Inc. ("Vendor").

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ CAREFULLY AND UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT.

BY CLICKING THE "I ACCEPT" BUTTON LOCATED ON THIS PAGE, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ALL THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT AND DO NOT AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THIS AGREEMENT, PLEASE CLICK THE "I DO NOT ACCEPT" BUTTON. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT, YOU WILL NOT BE REGISTERED TO USE OR ACCESS THE PROGRAM.

IF YOU RECEIVED THE PROGRAM ON A PHYSICAL MEDIUM (I.E., A CD-ROM, FLOPPY DISK, ETC.], BY OPENING THE PROGRAM MEDIA PACKAGE AND/OR INSTALLING, COPYING AND/OR OTHERWISE USING THE ACCOMPANYING PROGRAM AND/OR THE DOCUMENTATION, YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL THESE TERMS, DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE PROGRAM OR DOCUMENTATION.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 04:21:13 pm »

1.Definitions
1.1"Documentation" means the user guides for installation and use of the Program that Vendor makes generally available.
1.2"Program" means the Vendor software entitled PhatBoxTM Linux Interface, in object code form only, and the media, Documentation and any updates provided by Vendor to You and for which You are granted a license pursuant to this Agreement.
2.Program license
2.1Limited License. Vendor hereby grants to You a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable license (without the right to sublicense):
(a)to use a single copy of the Program solely for Your own personal non-commercial use on the equipment on which the Program was first installed for production operation or, on a temporary basis, on a backup system if such equipment is inoperative, consistent with the limitations specified or referenced in this Agreement and the Documentation;
(b)to use the Documentation provided with the Program in support of Your authorized use of the Program; and
(c)to copy the Program for archival or backup purposes, and to make a sufficient number of copies for the intended use described in the Documentation, provided that all titles and trademark, copyright and restricted rights notices are reproduced on all such copies.
2.2Restrictions. You will not copy or use the Program (including the Documentation) except as expressly permitted by this Agreement. You will not relicense, sublicense, rent or lease the Program or use the Program for third-party training, commercial time-sharing or service bureau use. You will not, and will not permit any third party to, reverse engineer, disassemble or decompile any Program, except to the extent expressly permitted by applicable law, and then only after You have notified Vendor in writing of Your intended activities. You will not use the Program on multiple processors without the prior written consent of Vendor. You will not use the Program for real-time broadcasting (terrestrial, satellite, cable or other media) or broadcasting via Internet or other networks, including but not limited to intranets, etc., or in pay-audio or audio-on-demand applications. You will not use the Program to reproduce copyrighted music or other audio recordings for commercial purposes, unless you have the express, written permission of the owners of those copyrights.
2.3Ownership. Vendor will retain all right, title and interest in and to the patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret and any other intellectual property rights in the Program and any derivative works thereof, subject only to the limited licenses set forth in this Agreement. You do not acquire any other rights, express or implied, in the Program other than those rights expressly granted under this Agreement.
2.4No Support. Vendor has no obligation to provide support, maintenance, upgrades, modifications or new releases under this Agreement.
3.Disclaimer of Warranties
3.1VENDOR MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OF ANY KIND WITH RESPECT TO THE PROGRAM. THE PROGRAM IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITH NO WARRANTY. YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE PROGRAM IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, VENDOR EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE PROGRAM, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, ACCURACY, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ANY WARRANTIES THAT MAY ARISE OUT OF COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. Vendor does not warrant that the Program will operate in combination with hardware, software, systems or data not provided by Vendor, except as expressly specified in the Documentation, or that the operation of the Program will be uninterrupted or error-free.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 04:21:19 pm »

Indemnification

You shall defend, indemnify and hold Vendor harmless from and against any third party claim arising out of or related to Your unauthorized use of the Program.

5.Termination

This Agreement is effective until terminated. Vendor may terminate this Agreement at any time upon Your breach of any of the provisions hereof. Upon termination of this Agreement, You will cease all use of the Program, return to Vendor or destroy the Program and all Documentation and related materials in Your possession, and so certify to Vendor. Except for the license granted herein and as expressly provided herein, the terms of this Agreement will survive termination.
6.General Terms
6.1Law. This Agreement and all matters arising out of or relating to this Agreement will be governed by the internal laws of the State of California without giving effect to any choice of law rule. This Agreement will not be governed by the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sales of Goods, the application of which is expressly excluded. In the event of any controversy, claim or dispute between the parties arising out of or relating to this Agreement, such controversy, claim or dispute may be tried solely in a state or federal court for Los Angeles County, California, and the parties hereby irrevocably consent to the jurisdiction and venue of such courts.
6.2Limitation of Liability. In no event will either party be liable for any indirect, incidental, special, consequential or punitive damages, or damages for loss of profits, revenue, business, savings, data, use or cost of substitute procurement, incurred by either party or any third party, whether in an action in contract or tort, even if the other party has been advised of the possibility of such damages or if such damages are foreseeable. In no event will Vendor's liability for damages hereunder exceed the amounts actually paid by You to Vendor for the Program. The parties acknowledge that the limitations of liability in this Section Limitation of Liability. In no event will either party be liable for any indirect, incidental, special, consequential or punitive damages, or damages for loss of profits, revenue, business, savings, data, use or cost of substitute procurement, incurred by either party or any third party, whether in an action in contract or tort, even if the other party has been advised of the possibility of such damages or if such damages are foreseeable. In no event will Vendor's liability for damages hereunder exceed the amounts actually paid by You to Vendor for the Program. The parties acknowledge that the limitations of liability in this Section and in the other provisions of this Agreement and the allocation of risk herein are an essential element of the bargain between the parties, without which Vendor would not have entered into this Agreement. Vendor's pricing reflects this allocation of risk and the limitation of liability specified herein. and in the other provisions of this Agreement and the allocation of risk herein are an essential element of the bargain between the parties, without which Vendor would not have entered into this Agreement. Vendor's pricing reflects this allocation of risk and the limitation of liability specified herein.
6.3Severability and Waiver. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable, such provision will be enforced to the extent possible consistent with the stated intention of the parties, or, if incapable of such enforcement, will be deemed to be severed and deleted from this Agreement, while the remainder of this Agreement will continue in full force and effect. The waiver by either party of any default or breach of this Agreement will not constitute a waiver of any other or subsequent default or breach.
6.4No Assignment. You may not assign, sell, transfer, delegate or otherwise dispose of, whether voluntarily or involuntarily, by operation of law or otherwise, this Agreement or any rights or obligations under this Agreement without the prior written consent of Vendor. Any purported assignment, transfer or delegation by You will be null and void. Subject to the foregoing, this Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties and their respective successors and assigns.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 04:21:27 pm »

6.5Export Administration. You will comply fully with all relevant export laws and regulations of the United States, including, without limitation, the U.S. Export Administration Regulations (collectively "Export Controls"). Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, You will not, and You will require Your representatives not to, export, direct or transfer the Program, or any direct product thereof, to any destination, person or entity restricted or prohibited by the Export Controls.
6.6Entire Agreement. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties and, other than any Vendor standard form customer agreement signed by the parties, supersedes all prior or contemporaneous agreements or representations, written or oral, concerning the subject matter of this Agreement. In the event of a conflict between the terms of this Agreement and a signed Vendor standard form customer Agreement, the terms of the signed customer agreement will control. This Agreement may not be modified or amended except in a writing signed by a duly authorized representative of each party; no other act, document, usage or custom will be deemed to amend or modify this Agreement. It is expressly agreed that the terms of this Agreement will supersede the terms in any of Your purchase orders or other ordering documents.

BY CLICKING ON THE "I ACCEPT" BUTTON BELOW, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT (1) YOU HAVE READ AND REVIEWED THIS AGREEMENT IN ITS ENTIRETY, (2) YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THIS AGREEMENT, (3) THE INDIVIDUAL SO CLICKING HAS THE POWER, AUTHORITY AND LEGAL RIGHT TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF YOU AND, (4) BY SO CLICKING, THIS AGREEMENT CONSTITUTES BINDING AND ENFORCEABLE OBLIGATIONS OF YOU.

Offline para

• Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 05:01:49 pm »
Thanks to Jud and Google's caching!

Looking at the license (why didn't they ship it in plsign's archive?) there seems to be no statement against using it for other filetypes than playlists... This license is just a template which doesn't specifically define anything for plsign! By the way, the term "PhatBox Linux Interface" should implicitly (if not explicitly) allow us to do what we're currently doing because we just use it as an interface to PB's Linux...

Para
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 05:04:57 pm by para »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 05:15:15 pm »
Agreed.  We need to find out more about reverse engineering allowed under the law in the terms of this agreement.  It doesn't say expressly that its not okay to send this file to other folks if I am reading this right.  They just have to be bound by the same agreement.. or am I misreading that?

Offline para

• Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 07:35:49 pm »
I think you are. Section 2.1 a) and c) in combination with section 2.2 should prevent you from sending/copying it to others than yourself...

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 08:21:09 am »
I don't see any way that a signed file could be considered non-distributable so just make a signed file that calls a generic shell script, and distribute that... then people can use that to execute anything they put into the other shell script

Sam

Offline bushing

• Needs to get outside.
  • props to my peeps
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 12:12:35 pm »
I don't see any way that a signed file could be considered non-distributable so just make a signed file that calls a generic shell script, and distribute that... then people can use that to execute anything they put into the other shell script

Sam

Exactly.  Of course, that doesn't help with signing playlists, of all things, for those that want to develop software that runs under Linux / OSX / anything else.

But that's not a huge problem, either -- we have a list of candidate private keys that it uses to sign, and once we figure out which key we need to use and what exactly the sig file format is, I can write use a little *open source* utility to do the same.

(The meat of plsign is the RSAREF library, which is freely distributable.  Including the private key is a little more questionable, as far as copyright concerns -- it doesn't constitute a "creative work".  However, even that's not insurmountable -- I can write a program to "rip" the key out of the windows version :))

Offline para

• Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 11:27:17 pm »
But that's not a huge problem, either -- we have a list of candidate private keys that it uses to sign, and once we figure out which key we need to use and what exactly the sig file format is, I can write use a little *open source* utility to do the same.

(The meat of plsign is the RSAREF library, which is freely distributable.  Including the private key is a little more questionable, as far as copyright concerns -- it doesn't constitute a "creative work".

Yep, guess what I'm going to do... That's the only way forward to keep Phat4X alive ;)
Note: in my earlier posts I referred to plsign only and not to any files signed by it.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 04:53:20 am »
I just threw up http://www.phathack.com/plsign.cgi -- I didn't see anything that would prohibit me from running it on that computer that I downloaded it to via a cgi script :)

If anybody sees any way this could be a legal issue please let me know

Sam

Offline para

• Veteran.
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 08:54:52 pm »
Cool, we discussed this before, didn't we...?

Thanks for this, Para