Author Topic: USB initialization speed (Reading... Reading... Reading...)  (Read 13181 times)

Offline decktard

USB initialization speed (Reading... Reading... Reading...)
« on: April 11, 2007, 06:20:39 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but maybe someone can give me an idea or two here.

I have a Kenwood x590 head unit and I've been successfully running with a 1 gig flash drive connected to it.  I've used the Phatnoise Media Manager to do its playlist audio magic.  It seems to come up quickly... several seconds.

Now I've purchased an 8 gig flash drive and loaded about 6 gigs worth of mp3s on it.  I expected a slow down but now it seems to take 15-30 (somewhere in there) to load up.  I'm wondering if there is a way to speed this up at all... perhaps by trimming the database file down somewhat.

I don't need all of the bells and whistles (genre audio files, whatever else).  I simply want an audio file for each of my 50ish playlists.

Any ideas of what, if anything, could be done... should I just learn to live with it?

Offline p2k

Re: USB initialization speed (Reading... Reading... Reading...)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:21:17 pm »
Hi,

indeed, any way to improve the start-up time would be great !

I have about 50GBs of MP3s on a 2"5 HDD and it takes my KDC-W7534U about 1 minute to initialize.
When I only had 30GBs, it took about 20 seconds...

The sadest part beeing that when I get a phone call, it starts all over when I hang up...

Regards,
Patrick.

Offline decktard

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:57:51 pm »
Anyone?

I'm just looking for a suggestion or two.  I was thinking about doing some coding work to see what I could figure out.

I just didn't know if it would be a waste of my time if anyone had experience in this yet.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 04:50:25 am »
I dont have a head unit that supports USB drives so I can't help personally.

Lloydd Dobber made some comments in the General Car Audio forum about the USB interface and that may be helpful.

Offline SteveC

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »
I'm not sure you will be able to do much to speed up the process. I load my USB drive with music without using the ACDrive software - just the raw files. It still takes a while to scan them, even when there are only 5-10 items on the drive.