Author Topic: Need recommendations for a new Kenwood head unit  (Read 8933 times)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Need recommendations for a new Kenwood head unit
« on: May 13, 2007, 08:16:28 pm »
I've been thinking about replacing my four year-old KDC-X979 anyway.  Due to an unfortunate incident today involving a bump in the road and an iced coffee in my hand right next to the radio, I've gone from thinking about to really having to do it.  It's got to be a Kenwood because I love my Music Keg and I am sticking with it.

I know I could get all pimped out on a DVD unit, but so far I am not impressed with the Kenwood DVD interfaces and menus that I have seen.  I'm particularly concerned about how a Music Keg might display track info.  I actually like the dot matrix on my 979 better.  On the other hand, the latest Kenwoods offer video iPod inputs, which is a plus, and a DVD unit also leaves the door open if I want to add satnav later (though I learned to read a map a long time ago and that's been good enough so far for almost 25 years of driving).  Does anyone have any more experience with Music Kegs and Kenwood DVD units, particularly the newer models?

If not DVD, I'm looking at the KDC-W7537UY (KDC-MP735U in the U.S.).  Anyone have any experience with that?

Any input much appreciated!
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Need recommendations for a new Kenwood head unit
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:12:52 pm »
I looked at the new ones and I like my X979 better... but I never liked the dvd stuff... want to sell me your broken 979 cheap? :p

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 02:05:49 am »
I love my XXV-01D head unit.. but its discontinued now.  its got the best screen of a single din non dvd unit i've seen out of kenwood.. including the newer models.

Offline gumbyandpokie999

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 01:51:25 pm »
One word for ya if you can do a double din ,DDX-8019 ,man this thing does EVERYTHING pretty much,has ipod controls,music keg has push button artists,etc,steering wheel interface,dvd,dvd audio,HD radio compatible,bluetooth compatible,a great tuner,its wayyyyy louder than my x-679 ,its sound is MUCH better than the x679 even with the x679 having an eq connected.If youre "geeky" and you like it all ,this is one hell of a radio (Got from Sonix Electronics on ebay for 800).A tad tricky installing in a 02 maxima(had to make my own mounting holes for flush factory look).Anyways you'll love it.

Offline timps

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:57:24 am »
I love my XXV-01D head unit.. but its discontinued now.  its got the best screen of a single din non dvd unit i've seen out of kenwood.. including the newer models.

I have got a similar model  KDC-PSW9531 (European version)

A fantastic head unit there might be some left here.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product_list/filter_category_id/80/pg/2.html

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 01:53:37 pm by timps »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 12:55:18 pm »
Yes, that's very similar to my KDC-W7031:

..which I bought specifically as I knew it would control the Kenwood Keg after researching lots.  Bargain at the time, most expensive in the store and at half advertised price.  God knows what I can get for the same money now though!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline acem77

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 03:12:17 pm »
One word for ya if you can do a double din ,DDX-8019 ,man this thing does EVERYTHING pretty much,has ipod controls,music keg has push button artists,etc,steering wheel interface,dvd,dvd audio,HD radio compatible,bluetooth compatible,a great tuner,its wayyyyy louder than my x-679 ,its sound is MUCH better than the x679 even with the x679 having an eq connected.If youre "geeky" and you like it all ,this is one hell of a radio (Got from Sonix Electronics on ebay for 800).A tad tricky installing in a 02 maxima(had to make my own mounting holes for flush factory look).Anyways you'll love it.

DDX-8019 this unit sounds nice. the reviews seem luke warm 5.9 on cnet.
i have an old kenwood headunit(one of the 1st  to suppot the keg)  + kenwood keg with a hacked 30gig drive from the original 10gig.

Right now i have it installed in my 2004 mitsubishi diamante.
i was looking for info on newer dvd kenwood head units that would support a keg.

the mistubishi supports  2 din.
are there any other 1 or 2 din dvd kenwood head units that support the keg?
DDX6019 - 8019 i saw these on web site what are the real pros and cons

does the DDX-8019 really have steering wheel interface support?
i have not seen this listed.
does that mean i can use the controls on my mitsubishis steering wheel just like with the factory head unit?
if thats true i would love my next head unit to support steering wheel controls.

anyone know if dvd units output  true discrete dolby digital and dts sound to each speaker/channel?

thanks
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 03:39:44 pm by acem77 »

Offline gumbyandpokie999

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 04:15:03 am »
Im running a  80 gig hacked DMS and a DDX-8019 ,I have a nissan with steering wheel controls and yes it does require an interface!
The phatbox comes up with folder names and singer BUTTONS you can press to jam to that artist.
The tuner is great,the dvd plays nice,and so far it  hasnt messed up which is good in my book.
It has a Digital output for external true surround processor ,which I wish was built in.