Author Topic: I'll pay you to fix my dms  (Read 7713 times)

Offline theslav

I'll pay you to fix my dms
« on: June 02, 2007, 01:28:26 am »
Original hd fried.  I replaced with good 20gb toshiba drive but have no backup of original.  I'll pay for an image or for direct repair. Name your price. chicago area.  Thanks.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: I'll pay you to fix my dms
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 03:02:22 am »
have you already hacked your phatbox?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 10:54:26 am »
Just to explain judb's question a little...   If you have not already hacked the Phatbox then a drive image will not help you due to the checks made on the drive by the stock firmware.  And to be able to apply the hack to the box you do need an original DMS drive, even a borrowed one will be OK.  Once your box has been hacked, then life gets easier and you can swap your fried disk with the replacement (or a larger one if needed).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 10:56:52 am by S80_UK »

Offline theslav

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 12:28:56 am »
Hi Guys,

didn't mean to post and run, just been a bit busy.  I found out about this page late in the game after my hard drive crashed.  Had I known I would have made a backup.

I installed this system in my car about two years ago.  Everything worked fine up until a few months ago.  I pulled the DMS from the player and the bottom of it was covered with a thin but noticable layer of oil.  I took it apart and it the drive looked corroded with varios greens and yellows, a bit of white dust, and this oil.  Not sure how it happened, whether it was condensation or heat that did it in, but I knew it was toast. 

I came across this forum via google and briefly read that it was possible to upgrade the hd to much larger sizes, so when i came across a 20gb toshiba drive at work I assumed that it was a simple swap/software update and presto.  I have since realized that it I am missing a key component, a working DMS and thought it would be easier to post this ad than to spend more time/money on a working drive.  I remember seeing an older post from a member in Hawaii that offered this kind of service and was hoping someone out there would do something similar.  I'd send my drive with return postage plus a service fee to a trusted member of this forum.  In return I promise to hack away at my working dms and swap out my drive with a larger one in the future.  Any takers?

Thanks for your time,

Tom M.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 03:34:30 am »
its not the drive that we would need, its the phatbox itself.  or alternatively you could buy an original DMS drive (working one) for pretty cheap and pop that into your DMS cart and presto changeo make your phatbox work again, and at that point apply the hack yourself.

The original drive is the key to running the code to "unlock" your phatbox and after that is done any drive will do.

You can send your phatbox to me in texas or to sbinginer in Hawaii and we'll fix it up and send it back.  (you pay shipping both ways).   You can post here or send us a private message if you are interested in going that route.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 03:36:06 am by judb »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 03:37:08 am »
also the thread below this has a guy selling a DMS drive (no plastic enclosure) which is exactly what you need.

http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1153.0.html

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 02:30:42 am »
i got your box.  i loaded the kenwood code on it, hacked it, and i've taken the 30 gig hitachi drive that was in your DMS cart and turned it into a working DMS.

I left you a message, i need to know what firmware you want to have loaded on it, VW or something else.

Also please contact me regarding the return shipping.

Offline theslav

Re: thank you for fixing my dms
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 02:56:42 am »
Thank you, thank you, thank you... my cell has been cutting out all afternoon but I got your VM.  I had this system installed in a 1998 audi and connected to the factory radio, I believe it's a concert or code n or m on the menu.  I think VW and audi are covered in the same package.  Also, please check your paypal account and let me know if this even comes close to covering your time.

T.

Offline wontbuygm

• PhatHacker
I'll pay you to fix my dms
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 01:22:35 am »
Ok - I am $200 into a repair of my VW Phatbox.   The rear wiper sprayer hose came off and flooded my phatbox and dms.

checked fuse ok
checked wire to headunit - ok
bought new phatbox $100  still didn't work

Opened the 20GIG DMS - found that it was torched...

Bought a new 120 GB ATA harddrive - still doesn't work

Bought a Ipod cable as a backup ($100) works with ipod

Will ship a free working phatbox to the person who fixes my DMS.....

(already tried the hack - it wouldn't even recognize the hard drive  - suspect the dms jumper may be damaged too....

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 04:47:16 am »
You can only run the hack using an original DMS, I'd offer (because I need a spare phatbox) but I'm in the UK.

If no-one offers your side of the pond, I have a spare original DMS that I would be willing to lend out to allow you to apply the hack.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 08:22:40 am »
My offer still stands if you ship your phatbox to me in Hawaii, and I suspect judb would still be happy to do the same in TX...

Sam