Author Topic: Voice Prompts Not Working At All  (Read 8183 times)

Offline InterMurph

• A few posts under my belt.
Voice Prompts Not Working At All
« on: July 10, 2007, 12:47:54 am »
I am experiencing the the problem described in thisold thread:  http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,306.0.html

Basically, voice prompts are not working at all.  They were working fine, in both Media Manager and Music Manager, until I bought a new disk, and rebuilt that disk and my old one from scratch. 

And now:

-- In both Media Manager and Music Manager, when I click the icon to hear a sample of Michael or Michelle's voice, I get nothing.
-- When I try to play a WAV file in the TTS directory via WinAmp, I hear nothing
-- When I browse playlists or albums, I hear nothing.  In addition, there is no silent period, long enough for the words to be pronounced.  It just immediately returns to the song playing.
-- I have installed the latest Media Manager (3.92), to no avail.
-- I have reformatted both of my hard disks 3 times each, to no avail.
-- I have rebuilt all of the voice prompts 3 times on each disk, to no avail.
-- I have downloaded the Microsoft engine referred to on a post on the old thread, and installed it, to no avail.

I think if I can solve the first problem, the rest will be simple.  But I just can't get Michael or Michelle to speak.

I can get Microsoft Sam to work, but it sounds terrible.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline InterMurph

Re: Voice Prompts Not Working At All
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 02:44:23 am »
Note:  the Windows Text To Speech feature works just fine.  In the Control Panel/Speech, I can hear LH Michelle and LH Michael just fine. 

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 06:41:52 am »
If you are using a hacked PhatBox I do have an interim version of PhatHack Media Manager which will allow you to rebuild the voice prompts on the DMS.

It should work on a non-hacked PhatBox too - but as I can't guarantee it, I won't promise anything!

If you are interested please send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the link to the interim build and some instructions.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 12:30:14 pm »
VorTechS, how does your PhatHack Media Manager rebuild the prompts?  Does it use a completely different system?  Or the same system? 

I'd like to try it, if it has a chance of working.  I can't take Microsoft Sam any more.

PS  Both of my boxes are hacked.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 01:06:12 pm »
PhatHack Media Manager's voice prompt re-builder works the 'same way' as PhatNoise Media Manager, in the sense that is uses a specified SAPI voice to generate the prompts - allowing you to choose from any of the SAPI voices installed.

I know the new function works, because I've tested it out myself - albeit I did use the default rate just to prove it worked.

The key thing to ensure is that you are wary of the rates you use, as the PhatBox can't use all of the rates available.

Please send me your e-mail address either mail me direct, [my address is on my profile] or send me a private message on the forums and I'll send you a link and some usage instructions.  I don't mind issuing interim builds to people, but don't to publicly advertise them because they are still in progress builds. 

This particular one is Build 5 but with this new voice prompt re-builder, so is relatively safe.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)