Author Topic: Getting SPDIF out of Phatbox or Keg  (Read 4924 times)

Offline _mike_

Getting SPDIF out of Phatbox or Keg
« on: July 17, 2007, 08:37:16 am »
Hello everybody! I'm waiting for recently bought Music Keg 910 and curious about sound quality it produces. I have my music library in flac ripped from cds and would like to have most from this box. As I understood both Kegs 910 and 710 have delta-sigma DACs which are obviously not the best choice for sound quality. Did anybody try to get SPDIF out of the box? Not sure with Cirrus Logic DAC if it has i2s or spdif input, but burrbrown seems has spdif input or correct me if I'm wrong. I think it would be nice to insert some audiophile quality DAC between Phatbox spdif out and HU analog input ;)

Mike
Kenwood DDX7029, waiting for MusicKeg 910

Offline gunn234

Re: Getting SPDIF out of Phatbox or Keg
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:21:05 pm »
I got my music keg modified at www.eutronix.com

Sound quality is as good as the D/As it is passing through. There are plenty of high end head units out there that have superior D/As and volume control. I use an Eclipse CD8053. The sound quality surpasses CDs if playing flac in my case.

The Clarion DX9255 and the Denon/Rockford RFX-8250 also have this.

He might have a DIY kit available at this point.

Offline gunn234

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:29:37 pm »
oh... forgot to mention that the headunits mentioned have digital inputs.

As far as I know, Kenwood doesn't make any head units with a digital input, only digital outputs

Offline _mike_

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 02:48:14 pm »
I'm going to use standalone Nakamichi DAC41 and to put analog signal back to the Kenwood bus for volume control.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:20:31 pm by _mike_ »

Offline gunn234

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 08:08:52 pm »
BTW.

If you ever got your music keg, how is the navigation menu when browsing for songs? Is the graphical overlay better than most 1 DIN head units?