Author Topic: lba kernel hacking for larger hard drive  (Read 7627 times)

Offline dippdydo22

• A few posts under my belt.
lba kernel hacking for larger hard drive
« on: July 23, 2007, 06:22:31 pm »
Sorry for this question, but I am really a newbie to this.  I have been watching your discussion forum for a couple months trying to gather the courage to hack my Phatbox, and I finally did it.  I bought a new drive, a Seagate 160 gb drive, that I am hoping will bring me a few more years of joy!!! 

However, I have read and searched the posts for information about the required lba kernal hack that is needed for a drive of this size to work.  I understand that you need to replace the lba kernel, so it will recongnize the entire drive, but I cannot find any specifics about how to do that exactly. 

Am I really just missing it, or could someone tell me how this is done?  Where do I get the new file that is needed, etc.? 

I have downloaded the Windows Hack Procedures instructions and files and extracted them and am ready to go with this one exception. 

If I couldn't figure out the hack, would the drive work, just without recognzing the additional space available?

Any help you could provide would be great! 

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: lba kernel hacking for larger hard drive
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 09:07:50 pm »
All you do is replace the file called "linux" with an lba48 version once the box is hacked to not require a signature for it...

http://downloads.phathack.com/sbingner/linux-lba48.bz2

You just have to decompress it... I think winzip can decompress it