Author Topic: three quick questions about the Kenwood Music Keg  (Read 6291 times)

Offline aperry

three quick questions about the Kenwood Music Keg
« on: July 26, 2007, 02:26:20 pm »
Hi,

A few quick questions which I searched for and could not find.  If anyone can help, I'd be greatly appreciative.

I recently installed a Kenwood Music Keg, connected to a Kenwood KDC-X969.  I have SSA and VIOT.  Got my music loaded up, everything is playing nicely in the car and I can read the text on the screen and hear the voice prompts and browse by playlist/artist/album/genre.  So far, so good.  I'm liking it a lot.

Now, with this HU I use SCAN to change modes, AM/FM to switch between "discs", and |< and >| to skip forward and back. 

So here are my questions:

1) When I skip to a new song (or album, etc) I have a 5 second delay between when the HU changes from showing "D34 T-01" (for example) over to the actual text of the track title.  I would like to reduce this to 1 second or even eliminate the wait time altogether.  It looks like this corresponds to the WAIT value specified in the phatbox.ini file.  However, I've tried changing the audioid values for WAIT, with no luck.  In fact, I tried changing it for every section of the file (even non-Kenwood), with no change.  Does anyone know if something special is required for the Kenwood/Keg configuration?

2) According to the user manual (for the generic phatbox), I should be able to hold down the |< and >| (skip forward/back) buttons to get to a voice prompted alphabet (if in Artist mode) so I can more easily skip to different areas of my collection.  This doesn't happen.  Instead it simply goes into seek mode (which is a normal function of this HU).  Any ideas here?  Is this another limitation of the Music Keg?  I have like 6,000 tracks and really need a better way to navigate around.  An example would be this:  How can I quickly get from "Dido" to "Phish" without clicking the AM/FM buttons about 75 times to scroll through all the artists in between?

3) The manual also states that there should be a 6th mode called "features" (along with track,playlist,artist,album and genre).  For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get to "features". 

Thank in advance!

Aaron 

PS:  After a few days of use, I really am loving this thing.  I just need to fine tune it a bit.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: three quick questions about the Kenwood Music Keg
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 03:15:32 pm »
I forget how you switch off the track display text... but there is a way to do that.

As for the second question, you have to double tap and hold the > or <  on the second tap to get the alphabet mode to work.

As for features I am not familiar with it, never found it.

Offline aperry

Re: three quick questions about the Kenwood Music Keg
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 03:20:47 pm »
I forget how you switch off the track display text... but there is a way to do that.

As for the second question, you have to double tap and hold the > or <  on the second tap to get the alphabet mode to work.

As for features I am not familiar with it, never found it.

Excellent.  Thanks for the double-tap info.  In my excitement I probably just misread this part of the manual.  I can't wait to try this!  Thanks!

I'll keep looking around for the track display thing.  I'd really just like to make the time shorter (from 5 seconds maybe down to 1 or even less).

Aaron