Author Topic: JUST BOUGHT MY KEG TODAY  (Read 9061 times)

Offline SUAVE619

JUST BOUGHT MY KEG TODAY
« on: August 22, 2007, 08:34:52 am »
Hello every one. I am a Noobie and i am hoping some one can direct/ help me.

i just bought the older 10 gig keg and I'm looking to upgrade the HD.

How Difficult is it to upgrade?
how can i do it my self?
will any HD 2.5 work?
or is there a limit to the amount of gigs it can handle?
i have a kenwood kvt 715 dvd, but it dosent seem to recognize the keg, should i update the firm ware on the DMS?
if so how?
also, since the keg is HD based, can a subwoofer mess up the HD?

i hope i don't irritate anyone with my questions..... i did say i was new to this  ;D

thanks in advance,

BTW I am in southern Cali, if any one is down here maybe we can meet up or i can buy one off of you.......  ;)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: JUST BOUGHT MY KEG TODAY
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 09:41:01 am »
How Difficult is it to upgrade?

Not difficult at all, see this thread: http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,981.0.html

how can i do it my self?

Again see that thread, or sign up for the new beta if you have the confidence.

will any HD 2.5 work?
No, stick to drives that are 5400RPM or less.

or is there a limit to the amount of gigs it can handle?

In theory no, but you need to make sure you use the LBA version of the 'linux' file available in the hack tools for any disk over 127GB

i have a kenwood kvt 715 dvd, but it dosent seem to recognize the keg, should i update the firm ware on the DMS?

If your firmware is not 13.01 then yes, chances are the DMS firmware needs updating. 
Also sometimes before sticking the DMS in the Keg, disconnecting the Keg from the HeadUnit by removing the cable from the back of the keg and then reconnecting it resolves issues of the unit not being recognised by Kenwood HUs.

if so how?

Use the PhatNoise Media Manager software.  When the DMS is recognised there are some additional options on the options screens to update the DMS firmware.

The instructions can be found in the user manual, here's a link to it:
http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/phatbox_users_manual.pdf

also, since the keg is HD based, can a subwoofer mess up the HD?

Yes.  I've got 3 subs, so I've kept the PhatBox well away from them because I ramp the F*@! out of them.  Depending on if you do the same, depends on whether or not it's safe to keep the PhatBox next to your subs.

i hope i don't irritate anyone with my questions..... i did say i was new to this  ;D

I'm taking a leaf out of sbingner's book here.
Being a newb is no excuse for not using the search options in the forums - where most of the answers to your questions could have been found! ;)

Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 01:29:41 pm »
yeah but your a lot nicer about it that Sam or I usually are. :)

Offline SUAVE619

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 06:54:07 pm »
thanks VorTechS,
i updated the firm ware last night and its working extreamly well. the whole hacking thing is a bit out of my luegue....... so im going to attempt it when i get the courage.
by the way, is there a search feature? i dont like having to go thru all the songs in order to get to the one i want to listen to......

Offline Firefox

• Needs to get outside.
  • Kenwood 710 Keg 80GB ;-)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 06:51:25 pm »
by the way, is there a search feature? i dont like having to go thru all the songs in order to get to the one i want to listen to......

Not strictly a search feature but with the newer Kenwood headunits don't you have a remote to jump to any disc/track by number?

The keg also supports the Voice Intex On Tap (VIOT) add-on that allows search by Artist name, Album name and Genre.

Also use the Search feature on this forum to look for more info (see top of every page on here - there's a ton of good stuff you will find if you look...)