Author Topic: VW PhatNoise DMS Needed  (Read 5298 times)

Offline illingworth22

• A few posts under my belt.
VW PhatNoise DMS Needed
« on: May 19, 2008, 11:21:58 pm »
In antisipation to needing an original DMS (I only have a Kenwood DMS to go with my VW Phatnoise). Is there anyone in the Dublin area who has a DMS I couls borrow? Failing that I plan to visit Yorkshire in the next few months so the second option is Yorkshire for a DMS?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: VW PhatNoise DMS Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:05:12 am »
to put it frankly, WTF are you talking about?  You just said you have a Kenwood DMS.  What's the problem?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 07:10:28 am »
Or, to paraphrase that:

If the Kenwood DMS you have is an original one, you can use that. It just needs the appropriate firmware loading onto it.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 09:40:15 am »
To further clarify:

An "original" DMS is a DMS made by Phatnoise (in some cases rebranded, e.g. Kenwood), which has not been hacked or upgraded by the user to work in a hacked Phatbox/Music Keg.  Since your VW Phatbox has presumably not been hacked, you need an original DMS for it to function.  You also need an original DMS in order to hack the Phatbox to work with non-original drives.

If you do not intend to hack the Phatbox (you should do it eventually), and just want to get things up and running, you still need to use VorTechS' Windows DMS Hack Tools to load the VW firmware onto the Kenwood DMS.  You will want to check the option to install the non-hacked firmware.  You may also want to reflash the Phatbox with the VW firmware, in case it is not updated with the latest firmware (though it probably is).  This option is also in the Hack Tools and is self-explanatory, though you will want to refer to the Phatbox manual for the firmware upgrade procedure.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline illingworth22

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 05:25:54 pm »
I guess this should have been my original question.... Is there any difference between a Phatnoise DMS and a Kenwood DMS? There seems to be Kenwood Phatnoise boxes and Phatnoise boxes and I did read somwhere that they had different software installed. I was just concearned as to the compatibility of My VW Phatnoise and the Kenwood DMS! Sory to be a pest... this is still kind of new to me! ???

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:51:06 pm »
I guess this should have been my original question.... Is there any difference between a Phatnoise DMS and a Kenwood DMS? There seems to be Kenwood Phatnoise boxes and Phatnoise boxes and I did read somwhere that they had different software installed. I was just concearned as to the compatibility of My VW Phatnoise and the Kenwood DMS! Sory to be a pest... this is still kind of new to me! ???

Dude, read my post again.  Your Kenwood-branded DMS will work in your VW-branded Phatbox when you use the DMS Hack Tools to change the firmware on the DMS from Kenwood to VW.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS