Author Topic: Weird Phatbox issue  (Read 6076 times)

Offline dahonam

Weird Phatbox issue
« on: October 24, 2007, 06:04:21 pm »
Hey there fellas,

Thanks for all the help the forum has given me since i got my box.  Been having an issue and cannot seem to figure it out

Every morning, when i start up my car to go to work my headunit goes to the radio, then i switch it back to cdc and it just stays at cdc1 track 1 00:00:00 with no sound, no matter how many buttons i push, nothing works... After about 5 mnutes music will start to play but I still cannot change anything.  After about another 10 minutes of turning off my headunit, unplugging the DMS, plugging it back in, turning the headunit on (a couple times) it finally decides to work.  Then it will work for the rest of the drive home from work, errands, etc... But the next morning I have the same issue again... anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Weird Phatbox issue
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:31:31 pm »
Perhaps your HU is not providing power to the phatbox when the ignition is off?  That's all I can think of but it doesn't entirely explain what you describe

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 08:48:54 am »
Can be a hard drive issue.  If the drive is starting to fail, all kinds of things could start to happen.  I would suggest checking the drive for errors, including a full surface scan.

Are you in a very cold climate?  Hard drives may not function properly when the ambient temperature is too cold (freezing).  What you describe could occur if the car interior is too cold first thing in the morning, but warms up after a few minutes of driving.  If that is the case, you should not even try to operate your keg until the temperature is warm enough.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline dahonam

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 09:59:21 am »
I don't think the HD is failing, it almost seems like it is trying to program itself (firmware update) everytime... As for cold temps, I live in SoCal and park inside my garage, so it can't be a temp issue

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 11:15:50 am »
Which version of the hack did you run?

Whichever you did, did you run the secondary phase to confirm the patches had been applied/clean up the hack?

If not, then chances are your box is re-running the patches every time.  However, it shouldn't take any more than a few seconds to do.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline dahonam

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 04:47:59 pm »
I actually did not run the hack at all... I have the program, but haven't used it...  I did update the firmware manually with the 4 files, what is the secondary phase?  I tried it again last night, I put the drive in, turned the radio on, it stayed at cdc1 track 1 00:00:00 for about 10 minutes, then it started working correctly... went to sleep, this morning, same issue.  It seems like the phatbox is not saving the firmware update... grr, very frustrating... any idea how to fix it? I just want my phatbox to work correctly...  :'(

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 05:54:48 pm »
You may not be allowing the firmware update process to properly finish.  When it has completed properly, the files on the DMS that initiate the update procedure will be deleted, so it won't start again.

Make sure you are following the firmware update procedure from the Phatbox user's guide (page 46)
12. While your car radio is off, insert the DMS cartridge into your PhatBox.
13. Turn on the radio and verify that the PhatBox powers on (the green light begins to blink).
14. While the green light is blinking, the PhatBox is reprogramming itself. This will take about 7 minutes.
! Do not pull the cartridge out while the lights are blinking.
15. You may turn off the radio and lock the car – the PhatBox will turn itself off when done.
When the PhatBox is done reprogramming, all the PhatBox lights will turn off. Now the PhatBox is ready for normal operation again.

If you have followed this procedure precisely and still have the same symptoms, check the phtsys partition for the files "forceupdate" and "forcesettings," and just delete them.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline dahonam

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 04:49:31 am »
I have followed that procedure exactly, the phatsys partition doesn't even have "forceupdate" or "forcesettings" to delete, its not there

Offline dahonam

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 04:34:38 pm »
Could it be that fact that i haven't selected the appropriate radio?  2002 Audi Symphony II, DMS firmware 7.2, phatbox says firmware is 3950.7  Any idea which radio code (Audi told me to run it on E, tried on N also) I should be using?