Author Topic: PhatHack DMS tools having...issues  (Read 7657 times)

Offline ccdalla

PhatHack DMS tools having...issues
« on: October 13, 2008, 07:26:50 pm »
Sooooo...I got a new HDD for my DMS, figuring that maybe replacing the old one will cure my skipping problems.

I know I need to hack my Phatbox before I swap in the new drive, but here's the thing: When I put my DMS in my cradle, it comes up, and I can browse it and everything in Windows Explorer, but when I fire up the PhatHack DMS Tools, I get a dialog box that says "No DMS Devices were found!".

I'm using Windows 2000, which I know isn't on the list of officially supported OSs, and I'm hoping that's not the problem, because I can't switch to XP for other reasons.

Could age be a factor here?

Just for everyone's edification, according to Windows, the HDD in my DMS is a Toshiba MK2018GAP.

-Chris

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: PhatHack DMS tools having...issues
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 06:46:51 am »
Chris, when the DMS tools start up, it writes a log file in My Documents\PhatHack Media Manager\Logs.  I believe the log is 'startup_sequence.txt' or something like that.

I recall there being issues with Win2k WMI queries not supporting particular properties that the DMS tools request, so that might be the issue here, but please post a copy of the contents of this log file and I'll see if I can work it out.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline ccdalla

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 08:52:20 am »
Yep, you're right...

Code: [Select]
Starting Device Listing....
Getting Device Snapshot....

Win32_Drive List
----------------

Starting device evaluation:
Determining device signature...
Error occured during drive snapshot:
System.MissingMemberException: Public member 'signature' on type 'ISWbemObject' not found.
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.LateGet(Object o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateGet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack)
   at PhatDriveSnapshot.DriveSnapshot.TakeDriveSnapshot(String Logdir, String Logfile)
Succeeded....enumerating devices....
No suitable devices returned by WMI!

-c

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 08:59:35 am »
Sorry, you could try the VMWare route....
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline ccdalla

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 12:26:04 pm »
*damn*

Guess what I'll have to do is put the cradle drivers on my XP-ified work laptop and apply the hack and prep the new drive using that.

-c

Offline ccdalla

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 08:02:42 pm »
Okay, so it's obviously been awhile since I posted to this thread, but I figured I probably ought to close the loop, since (according to the voice prompts, anyway) I've finally managed to get my Phatbox hacked.

I actually applied the patches and everything to my DMS over a month ago, but the patch process didn't go silky smooth, because the PhatHack tools didn't recognize the drive in my DMS...I plunged ahead nonetheless, and when I put my DMS back in my Phatbox, nothing happened- it just played music the way it normally does.

So, I assumed that it didn't work and got a bit sulky.  Then, over the weekend, the cable came disengaged from the back of my Phatbox, and in reattaching it, I blew the 7.5 amp fuse on the back of my head unit (this has happened to me several times, actually- now I keep the HU removal tools and spare fuses on hand).  Lo and behold, after replacing the fuse and powering everything back up from cold, I got the PhatHack voice prompts, which eventually ended with the "congratulations" one.

Odd thing is, that wasn't the first time I'd had to reattach the cable to the Phatbox since I applied the hack.  Weird.

In any event, thanks for the assist, now all I have to do is work up the gumption to put my new drive in my DMS.

-c