Author Topic: 08 Mazdaspeed 3 Bose No-Nav - can't get it to work  (Read 5336 times)

Offline 08 max

08 Mazdaspeed 3 Bose No-Nav - can't get it to work
« on: December 28, 2007, 09:18:38 pm »
Hi, I've been trying to get a VW Phatbox working in an 08 as described above.  It appears as though the headunit doesn't recognize the player.  I'd loaded one set of firmware/files to attempt a load and since doing so the box is unresponsive to plugging in an updated DMS cartridge (no lights).  Does anybody have any ideas?

I'm gathering that the old (2005) firmware isn't going to be up to date with the new headunit (particularily since its the Bose version - I'm sure Bose didn't build the headunit though).  Does anybody know of a source of updated files?

Offline 08 max

Re: 08 Mazdaspeed 3 Bose No-Nav - can't get it to work
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:12:18 pm »
nobody?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: 08 Mazdaspeed 3 Bose No-Nav - can't get it to work
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:03:20 pm »
Hi,

No lights means no power - so check that there is a signal which will at least cause the Phatbox to power up.  On the standard 26-way Phatbox connector that signal is on pin 14.  It should go to several volts (as many as 12 depending on the HU) in order to switch on the Phatbox.  Power connections are normally pins 4 and 16 to chassis, and a fused +12 volt feed to pins 10 and 13.  With those all present you should get some lights (red for power, green for errors / programming / disc access).

On the firmware side, there has been very little new firmware in the past 3 years (the last that I am aware of was for Volvo, early in 2005).  So unless your head unit is compatible with an earlier head unit type, or unless someone makes an adaptor box which will convert from your head unit to one of the more "open" CD changer protocols, then I am sorry to say that you may not be able to get this working.

Les.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:10:42 pm by S80_UK »