Author Topic: Is my phatnoise box dead????  (Read 9881 times)

Offline stan-the-man

Is my phatnoise box dead????
« on: January 18, 2008, 07:12:30 pm »
Hi folks,

Have the following problem with my phatnoise- the MFD version G doesnt recognize it anymore :(
I dont know why but while I was uploading my new music collection I said I will update the firmware as well.At that time I didnt do a back up of the firmware that was working fine :(
I downloaded the 7.02 update for the VW Native and extracted all the files to the PHTSYS folder, popped the DMS in the phatnoise and let it update. After it finished the lights went off, and then red light on and the green light flashing from time to time, but my MFD version G doesnt see it. I read in the manual that if the green is flashing form time to time it means that the unit is programming itself. I left it for more than 20 minutes and it was still doing it.
I even connected back my cd changer and it works so the cable is fine.
After that I downloaded all the other versions of the firmware and tried few of them but not all (the system will update itself and thats it);(
The only thing I noticed extracting the files to the PHTSYS folder today, If I remember correctly- when extracting the files I was asked to overwrite some file in there before, but it didnt happen when I was at it today. It might not be important, but I thought I will mention it.

Can anyone help out and share some light on that?
Is my phatnoise dead?

Cheers and Greets from Ireland,

Stan

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Is my phatnoise box dead????
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 07:55:12 pm »
You can't kill a Phatbox by loading firmware, even if it's the wrong firmware.  The way to kill a Phatbox is to overload the circuit board.  If you have lights and don't smell anything like fried circuits, you should still be OK. 

A red light means it's still getting power, the green flashing means it's doing something, we just don't know what.  It may be for some reason the firmware update didn't complete.

I'm not familiar with VW head units, but is there anyway to reboot or reset your MFD?  Sometimes Kenwoods need a reboot to get working again, particularly after a firmware update.

Now it's also not clear what firmware you've got on the DMS, since you wrote you've downloaded extracted some of them.  You may need to reformat the DMS (from within PMM -- and whatever you do, do NOT repartition), and reload the firmware.  I suggest using the Windows DMS Hack Tools for loading the firmware, starting again with 7.02 -- unless someone else on this board knows of an issue with that firmware and the VW MFD head units.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 07:56:57 pm by markbowen »
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline stan-the-man

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 08:14:42 pm »
Hey Mark,

I dont think there is a way to reboot the MFD, I dosconnected the car battery to basically reset the unit. It was still the same after :(
Im downloading the DMS Hack Tool v.2.10, so I will give it a go.
I'm really puzzled about all this.
The firmware I uploaded is 7.02 when it finished updating the lights went off,so I thought that the update was succesfull.
Now everytime I switch on the radio the pb comes on after few seconds switches off and comes back on again-and thats when the red light stays on and the green one flashes every now and then.

How do I reformat the DMS would that wipe out my playlists?
Sorry for all the newbie questions, never really looked into that kinda stuff before.

Cheers.

Stan

Offline stan-the-man

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 09:23:12 pm »
I cleaned the DMS under Hardware Options, Phatnoise DMS Maintanance (Clean/Wipe DMS)-I did both.
I used the DMS Hack Tools to load a firmware 7.02, and I'm gonna give it a go in the morning.

But just few minutes ago I uploaded the firmware 7.02 without wiping out the DMS, and it was still the same. After finishing updating pb goes off. When I put it back on the red light comes on with the green light and the unit switches off again. After a second it comes on again on it's own and the red light stays on but the green light flashes about every 5 sec.

Thanks again

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 01:45:08 am »
Stan, carefully follow the procedure for updating the firmware as it is in your phatbox manual (starting on page 40, the important stuff is on page 45.)

1. Make sure the radio is off before inserting the DMS.
2. Turn the radio on to verify the phatbox is getting power, and the firmware udpate will begin.
3. Turn the radio OFF and even take the keys out of the car.  The box will program itself and then shut off when finished. 

Go have a cup of coffee or a pint and then come back to check, and you should find the process completed properly and the lights are off.  Then give it a try and hopefully it will work.  If for some reason the lights were indeed off but it's still not working, try turning everything off, and simply disconnect and reconnect the cable at the back of the phatbox.  This sort of "reinitializes" the connection and has also solved my problems with my Kenwood on occasion.

If you're still having problems, post again.  Good luck.

Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 09:06:57 am »
I cleaned the DMS under Hardware Options, Phatnoise DMS Maintanance (Clean/Wipe DMS)-I did both.
I used the DMS Hack Tools to load a firmware 7.02, and I'm gonna give it a go in the morning.

But just few minutes ago I uploaded the firmware 7.02 without wiping out the DMS, and it was still the same. After finishing updating pb goes off. When I put it back on the red light comes on with the green light and the unit switches off again. After a second it comes on again on it's own and the red light stays on but the green light flashes about every 5 sec.

Thanks again

What you describe is normal operation for the PhatBox (with the exception that apparently it's not actually playing anything)...  incorrect firmware COULD cause that.  Red light is power, and green light is disk access when the unit is powered up.

Offline stan-the-man

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 08:22:42 pm »
Lads, I just gave up and I bought second hand unit that was used with VW MFD for €150.
Thanks for all your help  ;D
I'll keep trying to get my other box going as well, and I'll let you know if I manage to do so.

Cheers,

stan