Author Topic: DMS Connector - what is it?  (Read 17317 times)

Offline Firefox

• Needs to get outside.
  • Kenwood 710 Keg 80GB ;-)
DMS Connector - what is it?
« on: March 04, 2008, 10:46:41 pm »
Did anyone ever work out what type the connector was on the end of the DMS?

I'd really like to have just a USB lead to connect to the DMS instead of a cradle. I'm currently filling a new 120GB drive via a regular USB IDE adapter (so i know the drive can be powered that way) but it would be good not to have to remove the drive from the DMS shell in order to do that. I'm thinking that a converter back to a regular laptop IDE connector must exist somewhere.
Any thoughts?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: DMS Connector - what is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 07:28:17 am »
This has been asked in the past - I am not aware that anyone found an answer.  However, before you spend money trying to use the DMS via a USB adaptor, you should be aware that some Phatnoise software (PMM 3.92 at least) is picky about the ISB to IDE adaptor chip and will not work if it does not allow some operations, even though Windows can see the drive.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:34:49 am »
Get round the USB to IDE chip issues by using non-PhatNoise software which doesn't care! ;)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Firefox

• Needs to get outside.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 12:46:04 pm »
Get round the USB to IDE chip issues by using non-PhatNoise software which doesn't care! ;)

That was my plan......... ;-)

Offline Firefox

• Needs to get outside.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:03:34 pm »
This has been asked in the past - I am not aware that anyone found an answer.  However, before you spend money trying to use the DMS via a USB adaptor, you should be aware that some Phatnoise software (PMM 3.92 at least) is picky about the ISB to IDE adaptor chip and will not work if it does not allow some operations, even though Windows can see the drive.

Agreed. But i think we can see from the gradually decreasing compatability of official PMM on the latest OS and hardware we need to look to the future. For me the Keg/Phatnoise solution is still perfect for my needs. But i'd like a more portable method for syncing music than existing Cradle and external powersupply.

Anyone here have the time/inclination for mapping the pinouts from laptop IDE drive to the 50-pin (proprietary) DMS connector?

If we could find a source for the connector (apart from breaking into old USB 1 cradles!) i'm sure i'm not the only one who would like to make/buy an adapter to hook up the DMS (without removing the drive each time) to a regular USB IDE adaptor.

Let the DMS Connector  "Easter Egg Hunt" begin................  ;D

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:17:06 pm »
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Firefox

• Needs to get outside.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:39:23 pm »
You mean like this?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=48965&doy=7m3

Yes. Similar. I already have a USB2 to 2.5 inch IDE connector, I just need to find/make a converter that will bridge the gap between that and the DMS.

Offline thx_1138a

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 09:25:02 pm »
I know this is an OOLLLDDD thread, but I've never seen this info posted anywhere before...

The DMS connector is a 3M PAK50 type connector.

The correct part number for the original cartridge plug would be P51-050P-SR1-TG.
 -  P51 = PAK50 without flanges
 -  050P = 50 position Plug
 -  SR1 = Right angle through-hole
 -  TG = tin plate through-hole pins / gold flash contacts

options
 -  P50 = with mounting flanges (would require a different circuit board or modification)
 -  Au (instead of TG) = gold flash on both contacts and through-hole pins

These are also made in an insulation displacement (IDC) type connector for flat ribbon cable. I'm certain that the 44-pin hard drive connector is also available as an IDC. This might make it possible to eliminate the circuit board completely. Still researching this...

So far the biggest problem is that these are only available in this configuration in a minimum quantity of 200 @ $4-$5 per connector.

I'm researching this because I'm considering designing and 3d printing my own replacement cartridge. The problem here is same as the "build a new one from spare parts" route - the plugs and circuit board.

Jim