Author Topic: Are the 2.12 tools worth waiting for?  (Read 6057 times)

Offline redhat

Are the 2.12 tools worth waiting for?
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:37:03 pm »
Getting ready to patch my VW box, I want everything to go as smooth as possible and was wondering if my life would be a lot easier if I waited for the 2.12 version to come out. Thanks for keeping this great site going, kudos to those who have put a great deal of time into this, it is greatly appreciated.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Are the 2.12 tools worth waiting for?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:54:09 pm »
If you have problems getting the hack applied using v2.10, then you can either wait for 2.12 or take a copy of the un-released 2.11 (which has some known issues, but nothing major - and requires that you ensure your PhatBox is in 'Playlist' mode before starting the hack.

For creating a new DMS, I would definately use 2.11 or above as there are some minor fixes to the partitioning/formatting that everyone can benefit from.  v2.11 has not been released due to the known issues which will be resolved for v2.12.

Hopefully this isn't too confusing!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline redhat

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 06:00:10 pm »
Is there any time frame as to when 2.12 will be released? If not how does one obtain 2.11.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 06:04:44 pm »
There is no plan to release 2.12 in the next couple of weeks - I don't have time to get back to it right now.
Send me your e-mail address (mine is on my profile) and I'll mail you a link to v2.11 of the tools.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline redhat

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 02:04:14 am »
Thanks VorTechS worked like a charm to patch the phatbox, will wait for the weekend to try the new hard drive. Again thanks for your time and efforts.

Offline redhat

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:35:55 am »
Could not wait, added new hard drive to the dms, had an error when creating new dms, had to restart, after restarting added firmware files. Started PMM 3.76, added music, installed in vehicle and PRESTO new 80G DMS in a hacked box. Thank you.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:15:55 am »
What error did you get creating the new DMS?

Offline redhat

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 10:27:03 pm »
Error while writing to disk, ignore or abort. I ignored which hung the hack tools. Had to use task manager to close the program, when I restarted everything went OK. Also when using PMM 3.76 for the first time on the new disk it locked up, second time it worked OK.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 10:33:35 pm »
Disk write errors are generally not a good thing, you may want to do a full check of the new disk to make sure it's sound using low level drive diagnostic tools from the drive manufacturer.

I'm increasingly of the opinion PMM uses whacky low level file access stuff, but certainly when it first starts it will take a while to create all the data file it needs on the DMS.  I too had this problem for a long time, but eventually one day it went away.

Now it has gone away permanently given that I no longer use PMM ;)