Author Topic: Looking to replace Monsoon Casette radio with MP3 cd player radio  (Read 21630 times)

Offline Pal369

• A few posts under my belt.
Greetings, I have a 2002 Beetle with the Monsoon cassette tape radio, would like to replace with a new Radio with MP3 CD player. But, I also have a PhatNoise player attached, this radio must work with the Phatnoise player.

Is something like that available?   called local dealer and the quoted me a $1000.00, WOW.

Thank you

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Looking to replace Monsoon Casette radio with MP3 cd player radio
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 01:50:39 pm »
yea, it's called any Kenwood stereo

Offline Pal369

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:53:07 pm »
Thank you, I will check out the Kenwood Radios.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:59:22 pm »
You'll need to find a Kenwood cable for your phatbox though -- check out the thread in buying-and-selling from the blitzsafe guy, he says he can make any cable

Offline Pal369

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 03:18:55 pm »
Hi again, emailed Blitzsafe and no reply, so I called and was told by the receptionist, that they do not make anything for the Beetle or Phatnoise player. Is there anything else that might be available? Checked the Kenwood radios at Crutchfield and Model #KDC-MP635 has all those Changer Controls. Does anybody know if they would work with my Phatnoise Phatbox?

Thank for the help.

[Changer Controls: This unit is directly compatible with Kenwood changers manufactured in 1998 or later. If the changer has an O-N switch, the switch will need to be set to the "N" position. In addition to basic disc navigation features, this unit has the following changer controls: direct disc access (using the remote), direct track access (using the remote), track intro scan, track repeat, disc repeat, disc random, and magazine disc random. When connected to a CD Text capable CD changer or an MD changer, this unit can display disc and track titles for discs encoded with disc and track title information. The text information can be scrolled manually or automatically.]

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 09:43:31 pm »
Any Kenwood HU that supports CD Changer Text will be compatible with the PhatBox, but you'll need to update it to Kenwood Firmware.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Pal369

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 04:23:42 am »
Hi, thank you for your help, "Congratulation to your new addition to the Family" Is there a link for the firmware that I will need somewhere? Or can I download from Kenwood.

Thanks again.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 09:25:00 am »
Thank you.  Download my tools from the Hacking section, you can do a firmware update using these.

Link:

http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1291.0.html
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 09:26:01 am »
Oh, and if the box isn't hacked choose the option, 'Install non-hacked firmware', and as you are switching firmware choose the option 'Reflash box'

Offline Pal369

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 02:21:12 am »
Thank you very much for every once help, I'm shopping for a Kenwwood Radio and the availability is enormous, so many to choose from with so many options. Plus want to look for the best price.

You guys are great.

Thanks.

Offline Pal369

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 06:44:29 pm »
I will need a (cable. connector, ???) to connect onto the Kenwood. The Monsoon connector was a sqaure with seven wires, the Kenwood outlet is round with ten female connectors.

What can I do?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 08:45:18 pm »
You need a Kenwood Keg cable, part # KHD-5L1. Google it and you should come up with some suppliers.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Pal369

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 02:30:52 am »
Thank you, I googled it, found it, ordered it, and will wait for it.

Any hints on getting the Kenwood Radio with all those wires squeezed in to that small area???

Thank you

Offline Pal369

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 01:07:07 am »
The KHD-5L1 Cable will not fit, the Radio plug is fine, but the Phatnoise player. the Phatnoise has a square female connector while the KHD-5L1 CD end had a connector with round edges. I also tread pulling a cable with those connectors under the carpets, seats and all that stuff.

Is there something else available? Does anybody have experience with this type of units? Is there any body or place that makes cable converters (connectors)?

Thank you again

Offline jmj

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 03:36:27 am »
Not sure where you're mounting your Pnoise, but I just ran the cable under the rocker panel trim and into the spare wheel well of my VW GTI.  I pulled my rear set out, which helped with running the cable back there.  More of an exercise in patience than technical know-how.  There's a couple of pics I took on the first page of this thread:  http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2783033&page=1

Offline Pal369

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 12:07:31 am »
Thank you for your reply and the pictures are very helpful. But, two things I would have to change the plug on the Phatnoise unit which is mounted in the trunk and I do not have a plug to make the conversion with.

I did also ordered a "CONN Circular DIN 13POS male" connector, need advice on how to get solid connections on to the plug? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 02:57:31 am »
I'm not sure what you're talking about... but the connector on the phatbox should match the connector on that kenwood cable. 

The picture of both ends of the Kenwood KHD-5L1 cable is:

The connector pictured will fit on any and every PhatBox or Music Keg produced.  If your cable doesn't look like that, something is wrong.

Offline Pal369

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 12:34:42 pm »
Good Morning, thank you for the help, yes I know it's tough to explain what things look like. So I took pistures and will try to attach. I also have the "KHD-5L1" cable available.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 08:00:00 pm »
Wait a minute, I'm confused.  Are you not trying to connect a Phatbox to a Kenwood stereo? 

The one thing that all Phatbox cables have in common is the connection to the box.  If the cable you received does not connect to your Phatbox at either end, it's the wrong cable.  It sounds like they sent you a Kenwood to CD changer cable, which is not the KHD-5L1, and not what you need.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Pal369

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 01:06:13 pm »
I don't know what a KHD-5L1 cable should look like, but I will attach a picture of what I received. It will NOT fit my PhatNoise Player in my VW Beetle. I do have a round cable connector that will fit the Kenwood radio but I have no idea on how to get good solid connection to make things work right. Could Cut the KHD-5L1 cable and splice it according to the guidelines on this forum, but space is very tight to squeeze all those cable into that tight space in the Beetle dash board.
Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Thank you