Author Topic: Hack to fix the "Error retrieving DMS drive id" with PMM 3.92 problem  (Read 46322 times)

Offline zoltar

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: Hack to fix the "Error retrieving DMS drive id" with PMM 3.92 problem
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 03:39:48 pm »
I guess it's just bad luck picking the Samsung drive and this Chieftech enclosure.

Offline Death_Box

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 04:30:14 pm »
Thank you so much for the tip. Really a good community.
It'll be better in French for me  ;D. But  sometimes my son helps me when the post is too difficult to understand.
But never to write... :-[
bonne chance

Offline hildeand

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 03:30:18 pm »
Hi, I have a Fujitsu 80 GB original PhatNoise drive that no longer gets detected by PMM 3.92 (but does by Phatnoise Music Manager). I have been looking at this thread and seeing if it applies to my problem, but the Fujitsu drives seem to be on the inclusion part of the dll list? I also tried a few dll editors, but I could not make heads or tales out of it, let alone find the drive entries and change them...

Anyone who had this issue with a Fujitsu drive and could offer some advice?

Hilde

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 09:21:37 pm »
Hi, I have a Fujitsu 80 GB original PhatNoise drive that no longer gets detected by PMM 3.92 (but does by Phatnoise Music Manager).

That's odd - I can't see them blacklisting their own drives.

It could also be from an unrecognized cradle. Are you using a real PhatNoise cradle? What, exactly, does it say on the bottom? Under which OS? And, did you need to install any drivers to make the cradle work?

Offline hildeand

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 07:20:49 am »
I also find it strange - it does happen to two of their own, native drives as well as a hacked 160 GB drive. I run XP (in Parallels on a Mac system), using PMM 3.92, USB 2 cradle with no specific drivers installed. This has worked without problems before, but now I get the following message "Error retrieving DMS drive id" followed by something along the lines of "One or more files on the drive could be open (antivirus, explorer, etc. please make sure all files are closed".

Hilde

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 07:39:48 am »
I run XP (in Parallels on a Mac system), using PMM 3.92, USB 2 cradle with no specific drivers installed.

Have you upgraded either MacOS or Parallels since it worked reliably? Media Manager 3.92 checks both the USB vendor/product string and the disk drive IDENTIFY data.

Can you go into Device Manager (right-click My Computer, select Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager button), double-click on the device, select Details, select Hardware IDs from the drop-down list, and post what you see here?

Likewise for the displayed name (in Device Manager) of the hard drive?

I posted a list of the supported USB IDs as well as the supported and blacklisted drive list over here.

Offline hildeand

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 05:11:10 pm »
Hi, thanks for trying to help with this!

I really cannot say when I last used PMM 3.92 and it worked, as I have used PhatMac for quite some time. It's only after I realize that PhatMac seems to mess up the DMS database and thus give poor library browsing performance that I have tried to see if using PMM would help. Thus, it is quite possible, in fact I am quite certain, that both Parallels and OS X have been updated since I can say for sure PMM worked with the DMS...

Anyway, I've checked Device Manager, and I attach two screen captures of the hardware id and device name. For sure, this is a supported drive as it is the orginal 20 GB DMS that came with my Audi PB years ago, so something is making PMM identify it as a "disk non-grata"...

If you can make something out of the screen shots, I'd appreciate any input!

Bjorn

Offline hildeand

SOme more insight on a Mac
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 08:58:37 am »
Hi,

Suddenly, Mac OS X is in a good mood and detects the DMSs using the cradle (as opposed to a USB caddy). And now the drives are identified by PMM 3.92!

I even tested running the exact same DMS through the USB caddy and then there is error retrieving the drive id. So it seems somehow being connected to Windows through the USB caddy causes this on my system.

Hilde

Offline lee

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 11:20:49 pm »
Thanks for the hint. Almost one year with no access due this problem, I solved today. Open the DeviceDMS.DLL, use a Hex editor (find xvi32 on Google), open the file, search for SAMSUNG and change the S to X (will be XAMSUNG). Save and restart the PMM.

:)

Offline amb

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 12:50:31 am »
To chime in on this thread.  I just got a WDC WD3200BEVE-00A0HT0 320GB drive to try.  So far I've run into several roadblocks on Windows XP Pro SP3 (didn't try Windows 7 yet, but I expect worse).

1. When installed in the DMS cartridge and using the Phatnoise USB 2.0 cradle, I was able to use DMS Tools 2.14 to initialize the drive and the PHTSYS/PHTDTA partitions (took a long time to format the PHTDTA!).
2. Phatnoise Media Manager 3.92 doesn't work with it -- it complains "An unknown error occurred while accessing G:\CurrentSetup.xml." (but the file is there and appears to be good).
3. Changed to using a USB-IDE adapter instead of the DMS and cradle, PMM 3.92 says "Error retrieving DMS drive id".  After clicking OK, the drive shows up in PMM as a generic USB drive instead of a DMS.
4. I backed up a copy of the DeviceDMS.dll and used a hex editor on it, but can't find any strings matching "WDC" at all.  Nevertheless I added this drive's ID into the data per jlv's post above, but it didn't make any difference.  According to the discussions in this thread I shouldn't have to do this anyway.

Does anyone have PMM 3.92 working on Windows XP with a WD3200BEVE drive (for WD2500BEVE, for that matter)?  What did you have to do to make it work?  I really don't want to downgrade to PMM 3.76...

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 07:05:09 am »
2. Phatnoise Media Manager 3.92 doesn't work with it -- it complains "An unknown error occurred while accessing G:\CurrentSetup.xml." (but the file is there and appears to be good).

CurrentSetup.xml might have been generated by the DMS tools, which is an XML node fragment from the file host on the PhatHack.com servers for the firmware download.  Unfortunately we had to generate this file from what little knowledge we had of it, and therefore it's not likely to be exactly what PhatNoise MM expects of it.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline amb

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 09:29:18 am »
CurrentSetup.xml might have been generated by the DMS tools, which is an XML node fragment from the file host on the PhatHack.com servers for the firmware download.  Unfortunately we had to generate this file from what little knowledge we had of it, and therefore it's not likely to be exactly what PhatNoise MM expects of it.
Actually, my CurrentSetup.xml is not the one that DMS Tools generated.  I overwrote that file and the *.ini files with copies from my old 80GB DMS.  I also copied the entire contents of the my DMS' PHTDTA partition to the new 320GB drive.

The new drive (in the DMS shell) actually works fine in my hacked Audi Phatbox.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I just can't get PMM 3.92 to work with it on the PC (WinXP Pro SP3), either with the PN USB 2.0 cradle or with the USB-IDE adapter.  Obviously the way I set it up is not a real solution because I have to sync new music to the old 80GB DMS first and then manually copy a bunch of files from there to the 320GB drive, which is not only a big hassle, but it also prevents me from using more than 80GB of the 320GB drive.

So, I'm still looking for a solution to make the new drive work with PMM 3.92.  Is there something else I should patch in DeviceDMS.dll?

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 10:06:07 am »
So, I'm still looking for a solution to make the new drive work with PMM 3.92.  Is there something else I should patch in DeviceDMS.dll?

The code in DeviceDMS.dll first looks for a supported USB adapter type. If it finds a supported adapter, it then checks the drive vendor/model info against a list of known supported and known blacklisted drives, and also apparently anything else is allowed. There's some info on this in a post I made over here.

If you patch the DLL with the USB Vendor/Product ID's of your particular adapter (just replace one of the 4 entries in the table), then the drive should work, as long as it isn't in the blacklist. Note that most modern USB/IDE adapters use the USBSTOR\GenDisk framework, so things like "Generic" in the blacklist may be tripping you up. I'd suggest changing all of the blacklist strings by replacing any 2 characters in each entry with "XX" - so "Generic" would become "XXneric" and so forth. That should get you going just fine with an outboard USB/IDE adapter. Getting it to work in the DMS cradle will be a bit more problematic - if the DLL patched as I described above doesn't work, you likely have some sort of timing issue with the cradle's on-board firmware, and you should wait (and wait...) for my replacement cradle boards (which I'll be getting back to in the winter once racing season is over). I'll be shipping those boards with a modified DeviceDMS.dll that allows everything.

Offline amb

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 12:17:30 pm »
Thanks Terry, my USB-IDE adapter shows up as USB\VID_05E3&PID_0718 in device manager, so I patched the 4th entry in the table from USB\VID_05AB&PID_0031 to the new ID, and XX-out all the entries in the blacklist as you suggested.

Unfortunately, PMM 3.92 still throws "Error retrieving DMS drive id".  :(

Here is a screen shot of my Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers > USB Mass Storage device > Details window:

Here is a screenshot of XVI32 at the patched USB vendor/product IDs:

Here is where the blacklist entries are XX'ed out:

Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Any ideas why this is not enough to make PMM 3.92 work?

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 03:25:05 am »
Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Any ideas why this is not enough to make PMM 3.92 work?

Sorry, I'm still using the old Music Manager 2.35. Maybe somebody else can help?

Offline amb

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 07:39:13 am »
Alright, hope someone else have a clue as to what's going on.
Anyway, I found a file "CradleError.txt" on the new DMS' PHTDTA partition that wasn't there before.  Its content is the string:

"Failed getIdentify.  @err = 50"

I think this file was probably created by PMM 3.92, and is related to the "Error retrieving DMA drive id" problem.  Maybe this is useful info to help figure this out?

Offline InterMurph

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2010, 04:19:15 am »
This hack just worked for me!  I have a Samsung drive, and I used XVI32 to edit SAMSUNG and Samsung to XAMSUNG and Xamsung, and it now works.

Thanks!

Offline rhn

• PhatHacker
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 03:44:36 am »
Thanks jlv!

Worked like a charm for my 160GB SAMSUNG ahem...XAMSUNG drive.

One happy guy here

Rick
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:02:31 am by rhn »

Offline fayraz

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2012, 03:47:43 pm »
I have got 3.92 installed apart from a registry error everything seems to be working OK but when I plug in my DMS it comes up with Error retreiving...., I have not hacked the drive just using a standard 20GB original drive, do I still need to make hex changes?