Author Topic: Dying DMS, question on replacement  (Read 4910 times)

Offline HDClown

Dying DMS, question on replacement
« on: May 25, 2008, 01:52:25 pm »
I purchased a used phatbox (VW/Audi model) and the 40g DMS is dying.  This is the original DMS, unhacked.  It spins down in the cradle every couple of minutes.  I THINK I can get this thing going long enough to do a backup and put it in the PhatBox and let it do it's thing.

Few questions:

1) I was able to keep the DMS running long enough to get a backup using the PhatHack DMS Tools for windows.  Can I take this backup and restore it to an aftermarket hard drive, and THEN perform the hack on the phatbox?

2) If I successfully run the hack on the original DMS, then put it in the PhatBox and let it go through it's process, do I run the risk of the phatbox being completely damaged if the DMS "fails" (spins down) during any of the hack process?

3) I know of a couple people with unhacked DMS cartridges who should let me borrow them.  But I don't want to "hack" their DMS so when they give it back, their PhatBox gets altered.  Is there a procedure to use their DMS and hack my PhatBox, but leave their DMS untouched, and thus their PhatBox unhacked?

PS - My cradle is the USB2 cradle, my current DMS says DMS-040GF

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 03:47:18 pm by HDClown »

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: Dying DMS, question on replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 07:14:36 pm »
Hi,

One at a time....

1) I was able to keep the DMS running long enough to get a backup using the PhatHack DMS Tools for windows.  Can I take this backup and restore it to an aftermarket hard drive, and THEN perform the hack on the phatbox?

No - you must use an original DMS to hack your Phatbox.  It doesn't have to be your dying one, but you cannot clone the disk and use a copy to apply the hack.

2) If I successfully run the hack on the original DMS, then put it in the PhatBox and let it go through it's process, do I run the risk of the phatbox being completely damaged if the DMS "fails" (spins down) during any of the hack process?

You will be extremely unlikely to do any harm.  A partially hacked box may not run normally, but you will be able to complete the hack by trying more than once.  Actually, it is quite common that the hack does not always complete at the first attempt, but people always get there in the end. 

3) I know of a couple people with unhacked DMS cartridges who should let me borrow them.  But I don't want to "hack" their DMS so when they give it back, their PhatBox gets altered.  Is there a procedure to use their DMS and hack my PhatBox, but leave their DMS untouched, and thus their PhatBox unhacked?

Yes - the DMS can be restored to its original state if you want to use a borrowed DMS rather than your own.

Hope this helps you.

Offline HDClown

Re: Dying DMS, question on replacement
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 07:41:37 pm »
Thanks.  I'm going to give it a go with my dying DMS.  I was able to get the hacks loaded onto the DMS successfully.  Might as well just keep trying it in the PhatBox to get it hacked . I have some 20/30g laptop HDD's already sitting around I can swap in once I get the PhatBox hacked.  It would be nice to start using it ASAP.