Author Topic: Noobie looking for step by step instructions.  (Read 5867 times)

Offline Nielubie

Noobie looking for step by step instructions.
« on: May 30, 2008, 04:51:39 am »
Hello everyone I found this site by accident I had no idea you can hack these little boxes.  I have an OLD KHD-USB1 cradle and KHD-010G cartridge by Kenwood Excelon.  My 10gig hard drive is ready to die, when I start my car the hard drive sounds louder then my speakers at times so I was searching for a new hard drive and I came across this site and how cool it sounds to be able to upgrade from a 10gig to a 160gig or higher.

I read the forums a bit and I'm a total noob not understanding everything, is there a step by step instruction guide how to do this whole upgrade?  I saw some info on 2.10 firmware but then another thread about the bugs in it so I'm not sure if it's the right choice to do if there is something buggy.

Any help would be great, thank you.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Noobie looking for step by step instructions.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 05:28:08 am »
v2.10 of my DMS Tools only has minor issues, nothing buggy or that will cause lasting damage to your DMS.  The known issues in v2.10:

1) The hack may not run on some boxes, because those boxes do not run the startup sound

2. Creating a new DMS wastes a little space when creating the new drive partitions because it allocates hidden sectors

3. Creating a new DMS assumes that immediately after you will go and create a playlist in PhatNoise MM to test things out with.

So, as you see - hardly anything serious.  v2.12 (which you may have seen mentioned) isn't quite ready yet.  It is almost ready, but not quite.

Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Nielubie

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 07:08:06 pm »
I found the documentation and the DMS Tools and I tried them out.  I'm thinking that either my drive is going bad or maybe its outdated to where DMS Tools doesn't recognize some stuff.

When I run the tools everything is fine till step 4 when its trying to do the backup, at that point it sits there a VERY long time like 15-20 minutes and then tells me that is has an error.  From the windows Task bar I get an error "Windows - Delayed Write Failed, Windows was unable to save all the data for the file F:.  The data has been lost.  This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection.  Please try to save this file elsewhere."

And then the actual error on the DMS Tools window is: "The wizard encountered an unexpected error, the details are listed below:  - Failed to backup file: F:\rc.sh"

I'm not sure what this rc.sh file is, could my Keg be so old that it doesn't have this file on the drive?  I know my drive is going to die in the near future since it is running REALLY loud, but I'm not sure if there is maybe a corrupt sector on the drive where this file is?  I'm a little stumped.

I do have another Key in my wife's car and I will try to hack that one, but does the DMS Tools upgrade firmware on the cradle or just the cartridge and the device in my car?  And does the cartridge marry the device in my car or cradle or can I use my wife's cartriage to do both her car and mine?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 09:26:26 pm »
The patch is applied to the DMS, and then uploaded to the PhatBox.  Delayed write failures in the context of the errors you have shown are not good.  All this process is doing is copying files off your drive to the local PC and putting new files back on to the DMS and if Windows is struggling with this then you have problems.  As you say the drive is running loud, it does sound like things are struggling a lot and you rightly identify that it could be an indication the drive could fail any time.

One thing you could try, is manually copying some files on and off the drive to see if Windows gives you the same messages.  If not, then perhaps we can try the old fashioned manual way, and I'll walk you through what you need to do.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 09:29:14 pm »
Just noticed you have a second Keg and presumably another DMS.  As they are both the same devices, use the other DMS to apply the hack to both boxes.  A DMS is transferrable to any other box.